• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76'02 California Owner's

KenGilroy

Fellas..

Sadly.. as most of you are aware, we here in Cali still have to deal with the Governator's Smog Crap. Needless to say, there's a couple of major parts that just aren't available new to us anymore. In particular, the Braided Stainless Steel Hose that runs from the Exhaust Manifold to the EGR Filter.

I'm currently talking with a couple of hose mfg's right now and have sent out an original sample for them to review and give me a quote on. Bare in mind that I'm not shooting for a direct replica of the original, but rather a slighlty longer SS Braided Hose with the correct fittings as the original hose had.

I'm curious to know if there are any of you out there that might also be interested in obtaining one of these hoses, proviing I can get the made at a decent price.

Thanks,

Ken (ralphus29@yahoo.com)

InkaSteve used a garden hose. (I think.) Regardless, there was a garden hose under the hood.

(yes, Steve, I know it's almost been 4 years since then. HAHA! ;-) I post because I care.)

1969 BMW 2002

1972 BMW 3.0 CS

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

2007 Jeep Wranger X with all the trimmings

InkaSteve used a garden hose. (I think.) Regardless, there was a garden hose under the hood.

(yes, Steve, I know it's almost been 4 years since then. HAHA! ;-) I post because I care.)

What?? Garden Hose?? That was an Experimental High Tech oil resistant Breather to air cleaner hose. Had a heck of a time getting the sprinkler off of the end of it though.

How many days now "Short-timer"?

On-Topic.....My 76 sits in my driveway with Non-op registration until I take the time to get it smogged, but that stainless line is the least of my problems. Most smog techs probably can't even see it.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

11 71 1 260 086 "EGR Pipe" is available. List $82.38

11 71 1 260 031 EGR Pipe" is NLA

They are for slightly different applications. Different bends at the manifold side, one for the Reactor and the other for the cast iron '74 manifold. In the parts books I have I can't tell which one is which.

Actually, ideally there is a loophole that those w/'76 2002s in California can fall into..... There is a question that the Smog Technician has to answer while filling in all the info.... If he/she can or can't tell if it is a Federal/49 state car or if it is a California/50 state car... If they can't tell then you get to have a single vacuum distributor and JUST air injection w/ a cast iron exhaust manifold.... Bet y'all never thought of that one before huh???

We are talking about the pipe between the manifold and EGR Filter right?

Not the one from the EGR valve to the Intake Manifold, right?? That pipe is another issue, one that I have a solution for though. :)

If y'all have any '75-76 Smog equipment questions I can answer most all of them. I spent my BMW technician apprenticeship getting those cars to pass California smog.

TRY finding new air pump diverter valves!! :-b... I have been hunting for the correct Mercedes cross reference part # for years... If anyone happens to know it I'd ______ you. :-b

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

TRY finding new air pump diverter valves!! :-b... I have been hunting for the correct Mercedes cross reference part # for years... If anyone happens to know it I'd ______ you. :-b

Mr. Jones, you jarred a bit of memory loose in my tired old brain cells:

In '95 I bought a used GM diverter valve that was nearly identical to the one on my '68 1600. Unfortunately, when I sold it, I gave the new owner all my paper files with the car. I do recall going around to several places to try to find that GM diverter valve, and finally found a place around Bakersfield (or someplace towards SoCal) that reconditioned smog parts. I was put in touch with them by a Chevy restoration shop. That was quite a while ago, and I don't remember any names. If the '76 uses different parts, then none of this matters anyway. Maybe that'll help you.

After the testing laws changed in '99, I took all that stuff off and put it in a garbage bag. The bag went with the 1600, too.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Mr. Jones, you jarred a bit of memory loose in my tired old brain cells:

In '95 I bought a used GM diverter valve that was nearly identical to the one on my '68 1600.

As you probably figured, the '75-76 '02 diverter valves are very different from the earlier GM style ones used on the early '02s like your '68. They are the same though as early US E21 320i 77-79 and very early E12 530i's.... made by Pierburg.

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i

I'm new to all of this but I have a 1976 02 and there is a hose that just seems to look different than any other hose on the car. I've put some photos below. I "think" they are the hose you are talking about. It seems kind of "garden hose" like. : )

Is this the same hose you are talking about or a different one?

Best,

Morris

post-15654-13667597945374_thumb.jpg

post-15654-13667597946866_thumb.jpg

Needless to say, there's a couple of major parts that just aren't available new to us anymore. In particular, the Braided Stainless Steel Hose that runs from the Exhaust Manifold to the EGR Filter.
We are talking about the pipe between the manifold and EGR Filter right?

Not the one from the EGR valve to the Intake Manifold, right?? That pipe/hose is another issue, one that I have a solution for though. :)

We're talking about the flexible stainless steel PIPE from the exhaust manifold to the EGR filter. It resides below the distributor housing behind the head. The EGR filter resides beneath the intake manifold and is also what the EGR valve attaches to.

The red high temp silicone hose you pictured goes between the EGR valve and the fitting at the intake manifold and is correct for 75-76 2002's. The '74s had a stainless steel braided one that has been long NLA.

Historical Service Info note: the EGR filters were supposed to be changed/replaced every 25K miles......

HTH

Tom Jones

The pipe I'm talking about is the pipe that runs between the exhaust manifold and the EGR Filter. It's half Pipe and half Stainless Steel Braided Hose. It's been NLA for quite sometime. As it acrually cam in a couple of different sizes it turns out, I'm actually having it made 1.3" in order to accomodate the two different sizes made earlier and later manifolds.

As for the EGR Valves, that's probably the next one I'll be figuring out. Then.. the Automatic Shifter Films.

- K

I took a slightly different approach to the 76 SMOG issue. With fresh cats, it passes no problem!

post-1509-13667597985073_thumb.jpg

John Barlow Los Angeles, Ca.

John@VintageMotorsportGroup.com

EBay: NeueKlasseBMWs

O==00==O

www.SoCalVintageBMW.com

www.VintageMotorsportGroup.com

Vintage BMW Source

Motorsport Legends

Groma Race Fabrication

11 71 1 260 086 "EGR Pipe" is available. List $82.38

11 71 1 260 031 EGR Pipe" is NLA

They are for slightly different applications. Different bends at the manifold side, one for the Reactor and the other for the cast iron '74 manifold. In the parts books I have I can't tell which one is which.

Actually, ideally there is a loophole that those w/'76 2002s in California can fall into..... There is a question that the Smog Technician has to answer while filling in all the info.... If he/she can or can't tell if it is a Federal/49 state car or if it is a California/50 state car... If they can't tell then you get to have a single vacuum distributor and JUST air injection w/ a cast iron exhaust manifold.... Bet y'all never thought of that one before huh???

Ken, why don't you get one of the 11 71 1 260 086 pipes and bend the manifold end to fit.... I'd think that would be a better solution than some ill fitting leaky aftermarket piece, no?

Also, didn't any of y'all see my secret loophole??????????

Tom Jones