• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

extremely newbie question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Where is the starter!? I've got a replacement but I can't find the damn thing. Someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

Guest Anonymous
Take pictures beforehand so you remember how the wires fit. This job is kind of a pain in the ass to do while the engine is in the car. I found some of the bolts pretty hard to reach - you may fare better though.

Good luck

Looks like the only way I can wiggle it out or even get to it would be to remove the intake manifold...its such a tight squeeze

Take pictures beforehand so you remember how the wires fit. This job is kind of a pain in the ass to do while the engine is in the car. I found some of the bolts pretty hard to reach - you may fare better though.

Good luck

I actually found it a pretty easy install in my Tii with the motor in the car. My recommendation is to spray some penetrating lube on the old nuts before removing the starter...and I would replace the hardware.

Good luck

70 M2 2.5L 

Guest Anonymous

Here are pictures of what i'm working with:

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/1975bmw2002/starter/

So far i've taken the filter off the manifold, removed the carbon canister, the dip stick, and I still can't get to the starter. Don't see how there is enough room for it to even come out, MAYBE from the intake to firewall.

Is there anyone in the orange county area that can lend a hand? Pizza, beers, and some dirty hands are in store!

Tommy

Yeah, that airpump filter canaster sucks.

I have never seen one of those before, but I am an extreme amateur.

Without that stuff, on my 1973, I was able to take the starter out in about a 1/2 hour, while in the parking lot of the parts store, got it tested and put a new one back in the same time.

Are you in a state where deleting that stuff would be illegal?

Looks like you wil have to take that exahust gas recirculating tubes and filter canaster out to get to the starter.

What do others think.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Guest Anonymous
Yeah, that airpump filter canaster sucks.

I have never seen one of those before, but I am an extreme amateur.

Without that stuff, on my 1973, I was able to take the starter out in about a 1/2 hour, while in the parking lot of the parts store, got it tested and put a new one back in the same time.

Are you in a state where deleting that stuff would be illegal?

Looks like you wil have to take that exahust gas recirculating tubes and filter canaster out to get to the starter.

What do others think.

It's a 75 in CA so it doesn't have to be smoged. Not sure which hoses and things I can remove completely without having any issues except the canister.

It's a 75 in CA so it doesn't have to be smoged. Not sure which hoses and things I can remove completely without having any issues except the canister.

I have replaced the starter in my 76 without removing anything but the Water hose on the bottom of the intake manifold. It is a tight fit, but it does come out. I think I removed the starter mounting bracket on the front from the engine. The bolts on the back (bellhousing) are a pain, but will come out. Search the forum, I know we have covered this before, and there are some good hints available.

Good luck

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Have patience young Jedi.

The starter does come out between the intake and the firewall... The intake manifold stays in place.... The throttle linkage and the washer bottle are in your way.

The starter twists around and comes up trans end first.

I've done many many many many...... of them.

Tommy, since this is a '75 you are dealing with this thread about the smog equipment in those cars should be bedtime reading for you....

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,303603/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,smog/

I bet very few of y'all have done starters on 80-83 E21 320i's what a PITA those are!!!!! Book time 3.5 hrs. Tii book time 1.2....... It's still just a simple little old M10 right???? Not with the CIS injection assembly in the way!!!

HTH

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20