• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The car I shouldn't have bought (but like anyway)

deschodt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...nice work....Im jealous of the garage as well.

I love old 911s....and backdating is a very cool thang. Are those minilites/ superlites....or comp MLs?.. great choice

..you know that rat rod needs an "old" side view mirror..that one on there is forbidden.......is it from a 964 or 993?......

>...nice work....Im jealous of the garage as well.

Nothing to be jealous of. You too can buy a base 2002 roundie for too much money, apparently, and sink a lot more into it without ever any hope of being right-side up on it, ever. I guess I'm the only one on the board though, as everyone else seems to find $500 rust free cars, one per week per person at least ;-)

>I love old 911s....and backdating is a very cool thang. Are those minilites/ superlites....or comp MLs?.. great choice

Thanks, backdating was something I've been wanting to do for ever, after browsing the Pelican site for too long ;-) And then I bought back my first Porsche, an old 83 in need of paint... If you like stories, here's 13 pages of it !

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=392304&page=1

>you know that rat rod needs an "old" side view mirror..that one on there is forbidden.......is it from a 964 or 993?......

I disagree... The SC flag mirror is forbiddem and heavy, but I went with the 993 aero in contrasting color on purpose, it matches the shape of the car to perfection, to me. I did not seek to replicate a 73RS like everyone else. No tail... no RS badging... The "backdate correct" square mirror is silver/chrome and it would not go with anything on the car. I'd agree with you if I replaced the window trim (all of it), the headlight rings, but right now this is my "bastard backdate" and I like Aero mirrors on it, as well as the superlites in 8+9... Also, the SC flares make it very much "not" a 73, so nobody's fooled ;-)

I have the 912 (white, in the background above) with "correct" mirrors, that one stays stock ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Nothing to be jealous of. You too can buy a base 2002 roundie for too much money, apparently, and sink a lot more into it without ever any hope of being right-side up on it, ever. I guess I'm the only one on the board though.....

I'm right there with you. I am way upside down on mine as well. For self-preservation, I will not disclose the actual amount I have into it (never know if the wife checks this site)...but I will state that I have it insured with Hagerty for a figure north of 25K.

Yours is looking good! Wish I had the skills like yourself to do the work.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: After fixing the Solex, at least vacuum wise, to the point where my secondary does open, I'm still unimpressed. The car has gobs of torque down low but still is crap after 4000 rpm unless you bury the throttle...Too brutal for my tastes, the secondary is largely unused unless you drive like a maniac... Also, like CD remarked, my engine bay looks like a Uboat that was just brought up to the surface after 50 years !

I've decided it's Xmas, what the hell, and ordered a new 38/38 "kit" from Ireland. Throttle linkage, air filter, gasket and pre-jetted carb. We'll grind the manifold opening, possibly paint things and clean them up while in there, and see what power this contraption delivers. Actually, I want smooth revs most of all, not even too much more power, but compared to a so-so-solex, it has to be better ! As a bonus, an e-choke that "may" work vs mine that never did, cue in 4 start attempts every morning!

If you have tips about this install or "while you are in there", don't be shy...

I've read and reread the FAQ on 38s, I'm just worried about rusty old bolts and being clueless about vacuum & water ports... The car is in FL (85F today) and will likely live in northern california soon (not soon enough) @60-80F, so maybe I can ignore the manifold's water inlets and plug all that stuff up ? opinions? Only my distributor seems vacuum-aided, so in theory I should be able to plug every damn port on the manifold, correct ?

I hate vacuum, if you can't tell ;-) On every car I've had it's been a pain !

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's my new trunk lid painted drilled and rechromed.

BMW_rust111.jpg

I am very unimpressed by the OEM finish, the primer that the part came painted with is extremely brittle and flaking off under the lid - I only painted the outside and inner lip, on purpose. I liked the black inside... Lucky me I guess because the masking tape peeled it all off and it can be removed with a fingernail, inside. Outside seems better, but if my paint starts falling off next week I'll know why..

BMW_rust118.jpg

I'm off for a short vacation so we'll take pictures of the reassembled car soon ![/img]

• 4 weeks later...

And.... finally installed... I used to think the little porsche trunk lid pistons were a pain in the butt to replace but I found a "better" nemesis, BMW's twisted rods "springs" for the trunk. O what a joy it was to put that apparatus back on !

IMG_0401s.jpg

I need to do a tad more alignment but we may have drilled chrome holes 2mm too high. No fixing that... the Mobile tradition was in no way shape or form 100% identical to the old one - close, but no cigar, especially the 45 degree edge towards the rear glass. Then again who knows if the old one was OEM ? ;-)

IMG_0402s.jpg

Why stop there? We could do the roof, there is a spot of paint there that looks like seagull crap, some cracking of the paint near the roof gutter chrome, 2 little spots on the corners of the rear glass, and a bubble in the engine lid. Except that really, you'd have to repaint the WHOLE car to do a great job... and I am so upside down in the car that - F#$@ it - I'm just gonna drive it "as is" now until market valuation catches up with me, I swear - if it takes 10 years so be it ;-)

It's not embarassing anymore, it's solid, and it's a 6 footer... Got another set of thumbs up on my way home tonight ! This thing is popular !

The car looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have done sooo much, and done a damn good job at that.

My 02 will be coming off the road as my DD here pretty shortly so it can receive the same treatment. I have the same problem with my rear fenders..:((

And my rockers are hell too....

But Congrats, the car looks awesome and you should be proud.

But, im probably late in saying something but, the M10 really does wake up at 4k and up. i should scan in my dyno sheet and show you. Mine made most of its power from 4k all the way up to 5800 with a 32/36, all 75 hp and 92 ft/lb of torque :)

'75 2002

Photobucket

• 2 months later...

Not that anybody is checking out the thread anymore (now that it's in page 2), but the car is at the shop getting fuel injection ! More photos soon, and I may finally get to use the whole 6000 rpm for the first time ! No more carbs for me...

Not that anybody is checking out the thread anymore (now that it's in page 2), but the car is at the shop getting fuel injection ! More photos soon, and I may finally get to use the whole 600 rpm for the first time ! No more carbs for me...

everybody that responded got an update notice on the thread. Congratulations on the upgrade. Carbs are not for everyone, (myself included), I think you mean 6K, though...

FAQ Member # 91

Sweet Mama... I went to see the car at the shop on friday (it's been sol long I forgot it was mine) and it is transformed, but unfortunately not ready... I promise the next post will have pictures & nothing but pictures...

The EFI in on, mostly wired, as well as the special pulley up front to time the thing correctly. Coil pack (do I remember right?) where the old coil used to be, no more distributor (machined metal cover instead), fabricated heater bypass instead of dangling hoses plugged with spark plugs , crinkle paint on the new manifold and the valve cover of course (black, not going after Ferrari's trademark), the throttle actuation is new and smooth as butter (while my previous one was a sure way to induce calf cramps)...

The diff is coming out to be refurbished with new bearings or something, no more SHHHH sounds hopefully, and the new fuel pump is now in the trunk next to a mega metal fuel filter big enough it'll take an hour to prime, all hidden under the trunk carpet. Me likey, very very much ! I'm glad I am paying for this one, I would not have been able to swing it myself and those guys are doing a very clean job of it.

There will be a some Dyno tuneup on monday or tuesday, on the conservative side. We're going after reliability and durability, not outright oomph. But on the + side, even if the car only makes "stock" power (which I doubt very much), it'll be a huge gain for me with my stock broken solex that rarely used its secondary. If it makes anywhere close to what the guy says it will, this should be a heck of a lot of fun. Let the dyno speak...

Of course it could also blow up while on the dyno ;-) It never made real power for the last few years... fingers crossed it wants to live ! Almost forgot, while in there, they removed my entire brake lines to the rear, that were made of 5 (at least) pieces cobbled together with shoestring...

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, pictures !

I almost got the car today but there was one little oil leak to take care of, so tuesday.... I drove it though - Sweet mother of God !!! It's no M3, but coming from one 1/2 of a solex carb to a fully working EFI is like getting an M3 !

The dyno sheets - no pictures of those yet - show 100 hp at the *wheels* and 105 lb/ft of torque... Again, not much to some of you, but stock was 100+ hp at the *crank*, and that was XXXXXX miles ago... So all in all it's awesome ! 30 hp easily, I'd guess, for sure compared to the crap solex I was running ! It feels about twice as powerful from my butt dyno !

It almost breaks loose in second gear !

Ok, so this is the trunk setup with a bigger filter and a new fuel pump !

IMG_0648s.jpg

This is the 318 throttle body with crinkle paint, oversized injectors (for later upgrades), and you can see the DTA brain !

IMG_0649s.jpg

Other side - My, does it look better than before ! You really should see a "before" picture, C.D called it a "sunken Uboat" engine bay prior to this, but I cannot find that photo right this second !

Edit : ha, there is one but from the wrong side, hiding the awful valve cover:

4d49_3.JPG

And now:

IMG_0650s.jpg

Notice the lack of a distributor, coil, less stuff to go out of tune... That said if something goes bad I'm stuffed, some you win, some you lose !

IMG_0651s.jpg

For those interested, the brains, a DTA unit, that can keep up all the way to a turbo, via bigger or individual throttle bodies, anything you throw at it !

IMG_0652s.jpg

Also done: brake lines thru and thru, gas pedal mechanism redone and smooth as butter, but the travel is less than before, a lot less...maybe 1.5" max. Takes a little getting used to, but it's very controllable... and...my diff was repaired and is 100% quiet ! NICE ! believe me, after 1 year of SHHHHH, you notice !

All in all, that little drive was AWESOME and that car as it is now buries my Porsche 912, which it really did not do before (and should have on account of the bigger motor). So I'm pretty happy... This should all come under $2000 - this is not something I could have done myself so I'm fine with that.... especially since it involved reverse-turkeyfying a lot of PO repairs (check valve backward in the brakes, crappy 5 speed conversion etc...)