• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single Barrel Carb Question

HBChris

I need help attaching the vacuum lines to my `69 in preparation for getting it running for the first time in 20 years. There are two fittings on the carb nearest the valve cover, one is for the distributor, the other for the valve cover breather to air cleaner hose I believe. Which is which?

The other question is about the fitting on the intake manifold. I think it was part of the smog pump and gulp valve which has been removed, is that correct? Thanks.

post-9115-13667598202498_thumb.jpg

post-9115-13667598203573_thumb.jpg

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

looked under my hood, and I only have one hose on my carb (single barrel solex) it is the higher fitting and it goes to the distributor. Hope that helps. I love the simplicity of the euro touring.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Thanks Steve. The lower one must go to the breather hose, it has a small plastic nipple in the hose and the additional vacuum must help.

Still need to know on the inlet manifold fitting. After I rebuild the carb I will be good to go!

Steve, I will be at the in-laws tomorrow thru Saturday.

post-9115-13667598206053_thumb.jpg

HBChris

Steve, I will be at the in-laws tomorrow thru Saturday.

I will be at work tomorrow. Then we head for Sacramento on Wednesday thru Sunday.

Happy T day....

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

fitting at all...but my smog stuff has been "missing" since about 1972 so I may have forgotten about it. In any event, you'll need to plug all unused vacuum ports or your idle will be messed up. You can either cap the nipple or replace it with an appropriately threaded (short) bolt.

If you'll drop me an e-mail towards the weekend, I'll check my '69 (it's hibernating at my sister in law's) and see what that manifold port is for.

BTW, from the pix you posted, you must have a first series '69 (VIN below 1664760)--separate clutch reservoir, M/C reservoirs on the M/C itself. Also bet it has a two speed heater fan.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike. Yep, first series, 1664169. I also need a wire harness for that brake reservoir, my plugs are melted and I have replaced all of the other wiring but that short harness. I will plug the small manifold orifice with a small bolt, I think it went to the gulp valve.

HBChris

That port is for the gulp valve, at least on my early '71. I figured that out when re-smogging it for inspection this fall. A vacuum cap works well, but the rubber dries out so I need to replace it every year or so.

I can't recall if I have a second port on the carb or not, but my breather hose is just a length of heater hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner, so it doesn't have the vacuum nipple.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler