• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

for clarification

merek22

I've heard many parts can be used from a 320i, such as transmission, brakes, seats, so on and so forth, but a quick question for clarification...

Which can be used pertaining to the years of the 320i? I've heard that the '83 transmission is not as good or as easy of a swap as the 80-82, so are the brakes also different? Should I only look for an 80-82 320i?

Thanks,

Merek

'75 2002

To my knowledge all the rear brakes used for the conversion should be the same.

The front brakes on a '77 only will have vented rotors (although you may want to buy new).

Tranny from 80-82 is correct. Anything earlier had 4speeds (just like a 2002), and the '83 had a two piece tranny, that is a bit of a pain to install, when compared to the 80-82 tranny.

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

I've heard that the 83 is a little weaker trans --doesn't have the brass shift forks ?---Also ,not a bad idea to look for a 1980--the transition year from 4 to 5 speeds. This one still has a 4 bolt flange that allows you to bolt your 02 driveshaft up after the shortening process. Some argue the 3 bolt is much stronger but it certainly isn't necessary--this swap has been accomplished so many different ways over the last 25 years----Brent

the front hubs from a later e21 to go with the 77 only rotors.

i'm *pretty* sure the requirement for early vs. late front hubs pertains to whether or not you have regular 02 struts or tii struts.

if using the tii struts you'll want hubs from 1977-1979(maybe 1980)

if using stock struts you'll want the smaller 320i front hubs used on 1981-1983ish year.

what hubs you need are a function of which struts you have, not the rotor. i believe all the big brake conversions use the 1977 vented rotor.

as an aside, unless you have a super-strong above average motor, well adjusted stock 02 brakes are pretty darn good. i reinstalled all USED brake components that i thoroughly cleaned and inspected and adjusted properly and they work GREAT.

and, btw, i once found a 3.64 LSD differential on a 1977 320i car. it pays to double check. cost me all of $50 at the time. and i believe it does not require spacers on the output hubs.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa