• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing sway bar bushings

mbaze

What am I missing here? I'm trying to install a BavAuto front sway bar bushing kit. Note in the pic below that with all four bushings on the bolt, there is no room for nuts, etc. And that's without the width of the sway bar and and control arm. What's the trick to getting these on?

Thanks.

post-14328-13667598273241_thumb.jpg

'71 Sahara (sold 2019)

'74 '02 (sold 1/09)

I found a thread from a couple of years ago where someone suggested trimming each bushing by about a quarter inch. But I can't imagine that if I took this into a Bimmer shop, they'd do that. There has to be a common sense way to do this. Alas, Haynes and the shop manual are silent on this.

More suggestions welcome (while I look for some clamps).

'71 Sahara (sold 2019)

'74 '02 (sold 1/09)

Nope, I believe the cupped end sits on the bushing and hold it. The 3rd one from the left is correct.

You should at least be able to put all bushings and washers in place uninstalled and still be able to put the nut on. You could always saw 1/2" off the spacer if you can keep it a nice straight cut.

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

I found a thread from a couple of years ago where someone suggested trimming each bushing by about a quarter inch. But I can't imagine that if I took this into a Bimmer shop, they'd do that. There has to be a common sense way to do this. Alas, Haynes and the shop manual are silent on this.

More suggestions welcome (while I look for some clamps).

I would just trim the sleeve.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

i bought a kit from bavauto several years ago and got the same issue, bolt not long enough, or sleeve too long.

I did make sure then to let them know then, and told me they corrected the issue.

seems not :(

its 5 years ago minimum.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I purchased a urethane set from BMP (front and rear). The fronts were very tough to install UNTIL I let the car down off the jackstands so the lower arms were closer to the body. They were a cinch after the car was lowered. No trimming required.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

i have a set of these bushings at home and i had the same problem, can't remember where i got them from but they were a genuine part with a nice little BMW logo on the packet.

I'm not going to debate it but i'm almost certain that these were an 1/8-1/4 of an inch too tall, times that by 4 and that makes a big difference.

Spoke to my parts guy and he had heard of this problem before.

I solved it by using urethane instead, perfect to install, cheap and meant to be one of the best basic suspension upgrades.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed