• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Middle Console Design And VDO Gauges Opinion on BMW 2002

brucedemuro

So, here is the thing:

I have a 1969 BMW 2002 with some Alpina extras, I have started to slowly rebuild the car, and im in the "gather as many parts as you can" part of the resto in order to have everything at my disposal so to install everything at once.

The inteiror of the car is the early one with the chrome moldings on the dash and the silver dollar gauges so I'm trying to keep it as original looking and vintage as possible (I dig that look) therefor I've been collecting vintage parts, such as the vdo gauges which match the ones on the dash and also the clock on the dash (remember its a ti).

(Originally I was going to go for the vintage vdo cockpit look but to me those gauges look too modern contrasted to the all chromed interior)

The thing is that in that particular model gauges the only two I could get where the oil pressure and amp (they came off a Opel GT) what do you guys think, or know of, that would look good between those gauges? (I've thought about the temp gauge of the opel to use it as oil temp but it has no scale, only color coded).

I made a little quick sketch with the parts that will be going into the interior so that you can get an idea of what I have in mind... so check it out and let me know...

All thoughts welcomed...

post-2683-13667598470381_thumb.jpg

Edited by brucedemuro

Ok, Let her rip!

I'd try and keep the early short console look w/ the rubber shift boot.

I really like the radio and the 2 Opel gauges, but the VW motor temp one - not so much. It seems redundant to the temp gauge in the cluster. I'd prefer to see some small colored warning lights, and/or aux switches for fog lights, etc...

My car came with the long console, and yes it will have the rubber boot, all original... the picture i posted was as an example so that you could see the interior, i will add some switches for the foglights and a electric cut out switch but they'll be hidden. The VW temp gauge you're right it is kind of redundant, The little warning lights is also a good idea, I'll continue to think up ideas on what to put there...

Thank you for taking the time on giving me your opinion I really apreciate it!

Lets see what we can come up with...

Cheers mate!

Anyone else have any ideas or know of a vintage gauge that would look ok?

PS: this is the opel temp gauge...

post-2683-13667598503834_thumb.jpg

Ok, Let her rip!

I'd try and keep the early short console look w/ the rubber shift boot.

I really like the radio and the 2 Opel gauges, but the VW motor temp one - not so much. It seems redundant to the temp gauge in the cluster. I'd prefer to see some small colored warning lights, and/or aux switches for fog lights, etc...

i agree with the short console and the redundant temp guage.

use the short console and make one if necessary. i also like your radio and if you can find an original black and chrome speaker grill for the console that would be great.

put your two gauges in a small pod next to the dash mounted ti-clock. i've found that VW GTi's have a molded plastic VDO cutouts on their console. i'm planning to cut that section out of the VW console to mount some guages if and when i get to that stage.

wish i had an authentic ti to work with, but i will settle for a clone....

what's your VIN?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Hey jerry,

This is the thing, I live in Montevideo, Uruguay and the 2002 VIN# are different here since they came as CKD kits, my VIN is 1775430 and here the cars were ordered differently, my ti is the only ti here in Uruguay, at the time of purchase when presented the list of optionals apart from the normal stuff (color, interior, and a rare only in uruguay available Alpina upgrade pack) was the option of adding all of the special parts that make a Ti, that was how it got everything (boxed rear trailing arms, solex phh, the interior, etc) it also has the "complete" (you could just order some of the optionals) Alpina package which inclouded the 5 speed close ratio gearbox, close ratio steering box, and 13x6 steel rims with the alpina logo on the center cap...

The car was originally ordered and purchased by an employee of the german embassy here.

Now back to what you said, I also like the short console the thing is that the radio is stereo and its because the 2 speakers that it has the long console (installed when purchased) that is why it doesent have the speaker grill on the front.

About mounting the gauges on the dash I don't want to modify the dash since it is a 3 piece dash and its in perfect condition, that is why the center console was the first choice to go...

Tell me about your cars! what are you planning on doing?

Ok, Let her rip!

About mounting the gauges on the dash I don't want to modify the dash since it is a 3 piece dash and its in perfect condition, that is why the center console was the first choice to go...

Tell me about your cars! what are you planning on doing?

nice to know the original history of your car. that's rare information that all owners would love to have.

anyhow, using the gauge piece from the VW GTI, i feel, would allow you to place them on the dash without undue damage to your dash. run your wires via the clock opening and secure the unit with a bit of velcro.

as for my clone-to-be, i'm gonna use a '68 1602 shell with S/R that was given to me. i've spent a couple years assembling all the ti-bits including C/R 5spd, sport steering box, chrome dash (uncracked!), ti-clock, etc etc. Fernando, from Colombia reproduced a VIN plate with 1600 TI Spec written on it. it's just one of several projects on my plate at the moment.

good luck with your car. sounds like you have a great platform to work with.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I'd go with the short console too and use the space between the 2 gauges you have to install a switch or two. The early chrome dash cars had no provision for a hazard switch. If you've got one it's probably mounted under the dash somewhere, why not replace it with a later hazard switch in the console, along with a green switch for anything else you might need.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

car. But I did see a white 2002 down in the "tourist" section (where the cruise ship passengers go to shop) that belonged to one of the shop owners. Unfortunately he wasn't around to talk with, but I did get some pictures of his car. Since there are so few '02s in Uruguay, perhaps you know him.

According to BMW, Uruguayan production (all CKD) included 58 1600s assembled between April and June 1967, and the following 2002 production: 1969, 110; 1970, 270; 1971, 220; 1972, 100 and 1973, 50 for a total of 750, with production ending in April 1973. Apparently no squarelights were assembled in Uruguay.

As for the gauges--a voltmeter is much easier to install than an ammeter, and is actually more useful. You should be able to get a nice voltmeter from an early VW Golf (Rabbit in the US) GTI or first series Sirocco; they will also have a matching oil temperature gauge that can be installed in the oil filter housing. There should be a dimple in the housing casting that can be drilled and tapped for the sender--it's where the K-fish pump lubrication line goes on the tii's.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hey Mike, I see you've done you're homework, you're right about the bmw data, there were no squaries assambled here. And the number on the cars too.

I'm sorry I didn't hear when you were coming I would had arranged to meet you (though the car is not yet completely driveable) it's always good to have a good old chat with fellow 02 owner... Also because im alternating between the car and university everything takes 3 times longer than it should... I'm hoping to do some catching up now on summer to try and get it back to the streets though with a temporary substitute engine since im rebuilding the original one...

About the gauges you're right, I was originally planing on going for that ones, the same Alpina installed but somehow to me they looked a bit too modern in contrast to the rest of the interior...

I'm now hesitant on what to do, these opel gauges I must say look very good but I guess that with something as important as engine health and safty at risk maybe I should sacrifice looks over functionality...

Maybe I could go for these gauges and replace the rings for chrome ones, thus making them look a bit more vintage.

While at it I should try and get a 10bar oil pressure gauge, shouldn't I?, since I've heard that the oil pressure is really high on cold start ups.

Here is a pic of some gauges I found which look to be ok...

Tell me what you think...

Cheers!

post-2683-1366759854568_thumb.jpg

Ok, Let her rip!