• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice...74 Tii Keep the knee line molding???

I would always keep a tii as stock as possible. Mine is a 2 owner 74 tii and I think it keeps the value higher. Wheels and bumpers are easily changed around...but welding up body panels and doing it right...that is another matter! I have owned 02's since they were still being built (scary). My tastes have gone from racy to liking more and more just what the factory engineers intended.

Just my opinion!

Eric

BMW 2002 owner since 1981

I am not a purist.

I am removing both trims... all three trims in fact and welding all the holes shut. The rocker panels is being painted black and chrome molding is getting a silver stripe. The knee-high molding is going away.

I am also removing front and rear side reflectors and closing up the gas tank cap. (Access will be from the trunk.)

The car does have the Euro bumpers with the longer side pieces in the rear. No overriders.

Slight color change too.

It should be all done by the next SoCal Vintage show. Maybe before Bay Area??

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I've gotta vote for keeping it - looks great setting off those wheels, and it breaks up a fairly slab-sided stretch of sheet metal.

'74 Sahara 2002, sunroof/4-spd. (Bought from original owner in 1990)

'66 Mustang Coupe

'70 Mustang Grabber 302

'66 Thunderbird 428 Town Hardtop

as one said, it breaks up that slab side of the car.

However, with shorty bumpers, which give it the 70s look, the sans knee molding looks better.

On my P2, I have the long bumpers with no knee molding (because of flares) and I don't think it looks as good as it should.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

My vote would be for keeping it. It draws the eye down and sets off the wheels.

On the photoshopped photo, the door looks nekkid - needs a big round racing number!

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

since you are soliciting opinions i'll be glad to submit mine as loudly as possible.

(inhale) *****GET RID OF THAT BLASTED KNEE MOLDING*** (inhale...)

i hate that stuff. to me it looks like cheap stick-on trim from the likes of Kragen's, Pep Boys or JC Whitney.

the location is just above the subtle crease in the body panel that i find is a great understated design element of these cars. and to think, they had the temerity to drill the panels to install these wretched pieces of overpriced, plastic-topped trim pieces. worse yet, is that, in time, the black plastic topping has been known to shrink and/or peel away from the trim. to me it's just another area for rust.

i'd like to remove the Rocker Trim too, but i must admit that it IS an important design element on these cars. and yes, i'm not a big fan of the rear bumper 'whatchamacallits' either, anymore.

that's my opinion and thanks for giving me the opportunity to express it without apology!!!!

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thank you all for your thoughts. I decided to keep them and purchase new ones when paint is done. I will remove the front reflectors. and weld up the old holes for the DOT bumper supports. Wheels are going out this week for makeover.

Not sure what you mean about the bumper supports. Those are important to support the bumper returns. But they not be that important or even needed with the short bumpers.

4-19-083copy.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I say remove it and weld holes. Just finished mine and love the clean sides...although your color is considerably different. Photos attached.

Nat

post-15234-13667598529546_thumb.jpg

post-15234-13667598530531_thumb.jpg

post-15234-13667598531724_thumb.jpg

-1973 BMW 2002 Malaga 34,000 miles...finished!

-1965 Pontiac GTO 389 4-speed

-1964 Pontiac Lemans Convertible 326 Auto