• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting interchange...

Mike Self

When I was ordering those AXXIS brake pads on closeout from Rock Auto ($10.08--can't beat that!) I noticed that they listed all the vehicles that the pads fit--and besides the various BMW models, they also listed Audi 100 and (I think) 90 models from the same period--72-73.

Never heard that before and it makes me wonder if the calipers are the same. Anyone know? Might be an additional source of parts, as there are far fewer old Audis on the road, so NOS parts are more likely to be lurking back on dusty shelves at auto parts stores...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

not entirely on topic with your post, but related somewhat,...

i was in the process of putting together an order from this website last night when i noticed that shipping fees were starting to increase at a fast rate depending on 'where' the parts were to be shipped from.

it also appeared that the highest shipping fees applied to the parts with the best prices. the wheel cylinders come to mind.

i decided that i was not in any real need to store new parts in my garage and decided to empty my cart.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

When I was ordering those AXXIS brake pads on closeout from Rock Auto ($10.08--can't beat that!) I noticed that they listed all the vehicles that the pads fit--and besides the various BMW models, they also listed Audi 100 and (I think) 90 models from the same period--72-73.

Never heard that before and it makes me wonder if the calipers are the same. Anyone know? Might be an additional source of parts, as there are far fewer old Audis on the road, so NOS parts are more likely to be lurking back on dusty shelves at auto parts stores...

mike

Mike, I just did some quick research and found this:

Calipers for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-100-and-Super-90-left-and-right-brake-calipers_W0QQitemZ170286215797#ht_828wt_1116

Cross referenced the numbers I get this photos:

http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/auto-part-details.asp?prod=A-1-17-221

If these will fit any BMW 2002's it would be the early 1967-1968 year cars. These are single line calipers. The pads are the same for single line pre 69 cars and later dual line 2002 calipers. These calipers I think look the same as early BMW 2002/1600 items. And since they're NLA they seem very cheap if you need them.

Being ATE calipers I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same. ATE calipers off 1979-81 528i's are used on Ferrari 308's!, so it seems reasonable Audi use the ATE parts bin too.

WH

not entirely on topic with your post, but related somewhat,...

i was in the process of putting together an order from this website last night when i noticed that shipping fees were starting to increase at a fast rate depending on 'where' the parts were to be shipped from.

it also appeared that the highest shipping fees applied to the parts with the best prices. the wheel cylinders come to mind.

i decided that i was not in any real need to store new parts in my garage and decided to empty my cart.

Noticed the same, if they were from different warehouses, you paid for each one. I emptied a lot of stuff as well due to this as I will get local. The deals were good for me as I just started a project so I got many brake parts I will need. Drums were $18 each to ship to me, so I passed...but did get pads, shoes, oil and air filters, and wheel cylinders for under $9 shipping. Guess you just have to play the game

Jim R.