• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A BMW 2002 is one of the best investments!

dubois

Love the ad, but not sure it's true.

$3000 in 1976 is about $11,389 today (with an inflation calculator), so if you spent nothing on the car (parts, repairs, insurance etc) you'd have an ok return today being you could sell a nice 1976 2002tii for more than that.

Had you bought $3000 of just about any blue chip stock, say like GE.

Price in 1976 ($3000 * (low price in 1976 $1.132917) === 2,648 shares)

http://www.ge.com/investors/stock_info/historical.html?qm_page=66297

Value today of 2648 shares (yesterdays low of $16.66) * 2,648 shares == $44,115.68)

http://www.ge.com/investors/stock_info/historical.html?qm_page=45878

Today's ending price would have net ($47,452)

Had you sold it at it's all time high of about $60 in the year 2000 it'd have been $158,880!!!!

This of course doesn't take into account stock splits or dividends (GE pays a good dividend) so $44K would be quite on the low side of the return you'd have made.

I think GE wins as an investment but you can't have as much driving fun with GE stock as a tii!

WH

Does anybody else think its a little strange they would put a competitors car in it though?

Competitor's car? I only saw a Porsche....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Does anybody else think its a little strange they would put a competitors car in it though?

Competitor's car? I only saw a Porsche....

Gee, I was just waiting for that one! I thought the same thing, but wouldn't dare saying it, for fear of sounding too...you are just too subtle!

Watching the clip reminds me of my dilema every morning, correction: what I wished was my dilema, my goddam car is not read yet, I am mad as hell and can't take it anymore!

FAQ Member # 91

That black-backed silver tii looks an awful lot like one that belongs (or belonged) to a guy here in Vancouver who worked in the movie industry, if I remember correctly. I do vaguely recall a production company asking-around for a clean, has-to-be-silver 2002 about five years ago. I wonder if the black paint was done intentionally to make the 2002tii badge stand out - anyway, it works well in the ad...

Here's a pic of it in 2003 at one of the local meets:

MADSCF0008.jpg

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

I thought the same thing, but wouldn't dare saying it, for fear of sounding too...you are just too subtle!

I told a friend (and parent of my daughter's classmate) who drives an Inka tii about the P-car: "I always wanted one but thought Porsche drivers were assholes. Then, I realized, hey I AM an asshole. So I bought it."

So, since I'm an asshole, nothing was really stopping me from saying what I said above.

And it really is true, BMW 2002s and Porsche 911s are not competitors, as they seek to be very different things; both great, but different.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

I love it but something tells me that is not a real BMW commercial.

Wrong font at the end w/ the logo. BMW uses a special one that's actually BMW-owned, but it looks a lot like Helvetica. This one is some serif font that I can't quite place right now....

tn_xlarge_bmwlogo_1.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I agree that it may not be an ad that actually ran on TV.

I deal with advertising in my profession, and it is very unusual to have a :45 ad. Everything is 15, 30, or rarely, 60 sec. It could have been made for dealer shows, car shows, some other geography, that sort of thing. The font on the copy doesn't look quite right, either (as another poster pointed out). Might have even been created by a BMW dealer.

I could be wrong. My professional gut feeling is that something is fishy, though; that it is not an official BMW NA ad.

The car looks awesome, though. It's good stuff.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI