• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A BMW 2002 is one of the best investments!

dubois

I told a friend (and parent of my daughter's classmate) who drives an Inka tii about the P-car: "I always wanted one but thought Porsche drivers were assholes. Then, I realized, hey I AM an asshole. So I bought it."

So, since I'm an asshole, nothing was really stopping me from saying what I said above.

And it really is true, BMW 2002s and Porsche 911s are not competitors, as they seek to be very different things; both great, but different.

True, a 2002 and a 911 are not competition. BUT

a 911 and the new Z4 M roadster ARE competitors.

If this was a BMW commercial (I doubt it) they obviously are not trying to sell a 2002, but rather the brand name. Therefore it would be extremely strange putting a competitor’s car into the commercial, due to the fact that it brings the competitors brand name into mind. By the way I asked if anybody thought it was strange, not if anybody had a condescending comment to make.

So I suppose you stand corrected.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

I told a friend (and parent of my daughter's classmate) who drives an Inka tii about the P-car: "I always wanted one but thought Porsche drivers were assholes. Then, I realized, hey I AM an asshole. So I bought it."

So, since I'm an asshole, nothing was really stopping me from saying what I said above.

And it really is true, BMW 2002s and Porsche 911s are not competitors, as they seek to be very different things; both great, but different.

True, a 2002 and a 911 are not competition. BUT

a 911 and the new Z4 M roadster ARE competitors.

If this was a BMW commercial (I doubt it) they obviously are not trying to sell a 2002, but rather the brand name. Therefore it would be extremely strange putting a competitor’s car into the commercial, due to the fact that it brings the competitors brand name into mind. By the way I asked if anybody thought it was strange, not if anybody had a condescending comment to make.

So I suppose you stand corrected.

Celk06, a little background here: this is kind of an internal joke between Josh and me, we both recently bought Porsches to complement our 02 drives. He actually by his own admission knew the nature of his comment. I on the other hand, kept it to myself. Who is the greater sinner??? Anyway, a lot is said is jest, and I think it is a great commercial for the BMW brand. Personally, I think the 2002 is a greater competitor to the modern 911 than what BMW has become. The boxer engine is sweet, the sound is sublime, the classic looks, agility, simplicity, visibility, etc. Lots of intangibles that numbers cannot detect. Like a 2002... Two different brands now, two different philosophies, they are NOT competitors.

FAQ Member # 91

A lot of times, up and coming directors will shoot what we call a "spec spot".

These spec spots were often written by the director himself, on a subject that he is familiar with.

They use these spec spots to create their reel. Their reel is the way of letting potential agencies and clients see what the director is capable of.

Most times they are done with little to no budget. Directors often enlist friends and co-workers to work for free on these spec spots, with the promise that when they become an established director, they will hire them for real money.

Or another way spec spots get done is when the director is shooting a legitimate paying spot, and maybe it falls on a Friday, the equipment does not get returned until Monday, they have at their disposal the camera package over the weekend, and same thing, get their co-workers to chip in on the Saturday or Sunday to shoot a spec spot.

I'm not saying that's how this BMW spot was done, but it's a good possibility.

And believe me, every director has his "reel" for potential clients to look at.

here's Ridley Scott's.

http://www.rsafilms.com/d/rsa/companies/rsa-us/37