• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 As A Daily Driver

Dutchie3719

2002 As Daily Driver  

87 members have voted

1. 1. 2002 As Daily Driver

• Yes
    • No
    • After Tons Of Modifications Yes
    • Yes but no Highway

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy to work on, cheap to maintain, and gobs of fun!

I have working A/C, and use it year round (brrr) for it's "defogging" capabilities . This really helps with visibility in rain or fog.

I'm in SE VA, where they rarely salt the roads. If they salt (maybe once/year), I can normally drive something else (wife's a teacher and school normally cancels) and I keep the underside pretty well flushed until we have enough rain to rinse the roads afterwards.

The Weber 32/36 with manual choke always starts instantly and runs well, but the temp rarely drops below the 20s.

Let's see, what does it depend upon? How spoiled are you by modern conveniences? With most '02's can you do without AC? The biggest thing is it a safe platform? These cars are old and some are newer than others. I wouldn't hesitiate to get in either of my cars for dd, if they didn't salt the roads that is!

No problems that can't be fixed, quality of the car/parts is good so a well sorted old bimmer won't require much attention once it's up to snuff.

A heater box in good condition would be a must, particularly for defrost in humid areas, also garage space.

Good wrenching skills and enthusiasm for such activity could be considered a prerequisite.

machinist - A&P - UAV inspector.

'71 1600 parts car, '71 Nevada tii tribute, '73 Polaris automatic in assembly awaiting 5-speed, 3.90 LS and dual 40s

'61 R27 - '74 R90S - '83 R100RS

If I lived in a warm & dry climate (socal, arizona, texas, etc), I'd do it in a heartbeat, easy cars to work on, great fun to drive, tons of attention. That being said, There's salt on the roads here in Ohio from November to April, so no, it's not a DD.

-Charlie

02incarsig.jpg

'76 02 http://tinyurl.com/granatrot76 - '89 325is (M50'd) -'98 318ti -'94 Vandura 2500 - '03 Z4 (very, very green) - '07 F800s, beemer

It's my DD...even on rainy days (we get so few here that it's not much of an issue really)

Bought the car this summer in virtually stock form. It had been sitting for several years after blowing a head gasket. So, it had all the usual issues from sitting unused -brakes, shocks worked for about a minute but the seals were dry and they didn't get any better, fluid leaks -more like seeps, surface rust etc and etc.

all of it easily fixable. I drove it less than 5 miles oneway each day until all the known issues were sorted. Then a few major issues developed with the "new" head put on by the PO.

Got all that sorted. I"ve since had the motor rebuilt and a 5sp put in with a 391 LSD.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

Another consideration for you is that drivers in this area are terrible. Heavy traffic everywhere, all the time, everyone on the phone or tending to some other distraction. Lots of aggressive but really stupid driving. One good hit on your 2002 and it is toast.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

year 'round for both (through Ohio winters) until 1984, then "no salt time" (Apr thru Nov) only for the 73. The '69 joined the summer only crowd in 2000 after much rust repair.

No real problems, just routine maintenance and very occasional breakdowns. Lotsa long trips too, several in the 23-2500 mile range with no problems. Nearly 440k miles on the two...

The lack of "modern" conveniences is more than made up by the driving fun factor and the 02's ability to make a crappy day a good one just by getting behind the wheel...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

No problem, it's pretty easy when the weather is almost always cooperative. I drive my truck on the occasional rainy day (like today). Because it never rains here the other drivers seem to be clueless when it does and I feel safer in my big 'ol truck!

My fairweather Daily Driver

74 Golf

Rain or shine, my 02 is my daily driver. Don't get any snow in Mill Valley; but there was snow on Mt Tam this morning. It was a cold drive to work this morning, and the temp gauge barely got out of the blue.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

I do. But since I drive chap crappy cars, I also have a cheap crappy truck.

Salt and rain a no no.

No salt, agreed. Mine does just fine in the rain.

Mod cons? cripes, I haven't even fixed the defroster fan... and it's been

that was since... oh, jeez, 2001!

Big bumpers are a good idea if you have to park it on city streets.

Fuel injection is nice if you have the time and inclination.

Good tires on something like bottlecaps really is nice.

And a 5- speed and 3.91 lsd is nice- 2 reasons:

More fun and better cruising,

and better traction in the wet and in snow. Yes, mine goes just fine

in snow, thank you very much. I have snow tires and never use them...

Yeah, it'd have to be a summer car in the rust belt, fer sure..

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL