• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should the Car Outlive the Owner?

thehackmechanic

I wanted to simply respond to Mike Self's post and say "Happy Birthday Ludwig... and many more."

Then I was about to add "and may you outlive your owner," but that just sounds insensitive, and it isn't what I mean.

And then I started thinking. And then it got complicated.

There is the saying "a parent should never outlive his/her child," the meaning being that the crushing pain of seeing a child die should never have to be borne by any parent.

But what about with cars? I wrote, earlier this week, that it is an act of violence to drive an '02 or any classic in a salty or even a wet environment, that you can almost hear the car scream. I had the body restoration work on my 3.0CSi done over 20 years ago, and I have been extremely careful with the car, so it is still in spectacular rust-free shape.

But does this mean that, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, I should've driven the car more often, and in worse weather? Should I extrapolate that to, let's see, an average male life expectancy of, say, 83 years, gee that means I should on average drive the car four times a year in the rain? If I die and the car still hasn't perforated its rocker panels, have I gotten my value out of it?

So there's a part of this that's like the joke about spending your kids' inheritance (and why is that a joke? :^), and part that's about the care and respect that we show for these inanimate objects that we love.

I suppose this all comes down to the question of where you derive your pleasure and satisfaction, and there is not a one-size-fits-all answer to this. You'll go one way with it if you derive enjoyment out of a perfect car, and another if you're a leave-it-on-the-field guy. If I found out tomorrow that I had cancer, I think the last thing I'd do is think "guess I'd better jump in the coupe, take it out in the New England salt, do donuts in the parking lot with the twelve year old Yokohama 008s, and get some RUST on this thing before I kick the bucket!"

What do YOU think?

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I think they're to be cherished and passed on to the next generation--at the appropriate time, of course.

What if all the grand classics from the 20s and 30s--Duesenbergs, Isottas, Bugattis, Minervas, Cords etc etc had all been junked (as many were during the WW II scrap drives)...or some of the now 100 year old pioneer automobiles from the turn of the 20th century. Just like demolishing old historic buildings...we lose some of our history and past.

While none of my old cars are particularly valuable, some are unique or nearly so ('49 Fiat woody station wagon, '56 Renault 4CV convertible); someone should preserve the "pedestrian" cars as well as the fabulous ones. Since I can't afford Duesenbergs, I'll stick with Renaults and Fiats...and 2002s.

I like to think that I'm the caretaker of these pieces of history and will pass 'em on someday in as good or better shape (authentic, of course!) for the next caretaker to preserve and enjoy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It IS a subjective issue yes, but some basic fundamentals still apply.

Quality of life/enjoying what you have...

enjoyment....as you stated, this can mean different things to different ppl. I've always leaned toward function over form.

Now, don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate a well restored piece of rolling art that stirrs all of our senses into an electrifying orgasm...but, I've always been drawn to the tactile vibe of a well tuned performance engine....sensing the road pass beneath me as the tires crune in cyncronous harmonies as I toss the wheel on tight corners, regardless of what condition the paint might be in.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

The things we see as "valuable" as "treasures" we hold close to our hearts. We're willing to make sacrifices to get them and will fight to keep them in our possession. The "what is valuable" question is easier to answer than the "why is it valuable".

Some things haven't much value in and of themselves. However, they support/preserve or help me gain more out of what I do hold high on the list.

I'm thinking out loud here so plz forgive the "before coffee" ramblings, but I think I need two '02s. One to keep in pristine condition. This one would be the completely stripped, nuts-n-bolts resto. It would be to show off just how beautiful these cars are when 'new' and to have bragging rights on doing the project myself.

This one would be driven on sunny weekends and to shows only. It would be enjoyed but in a much different way than the second one.

The second one would be for "driving", much like the one I have now.

This one would have a cam'd motor and too many carbs ;^)

It would have a 5sp and LSD. The suspension would not be for anyone with a bad back...or who is pregnant.

The interior would be removed except for the two front seats.

Aftermarket gauges to keep track of the vitals...and a stereo for those long drives in between canyons.

The rust will have been 'arrested' but not necessarily fixed. Dents, chipped paint, primer etc are all fine on this one.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I still don't know what I want.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

The older you get the more you reflect about death or try to avoid that subject!. When I was in my twenties I thought I would live forever!

Everybody approaches the life journey differently. I tell everybody: I am not afraid of dying, but I am really scared of not living! If I knew exactly the day, I could time it, so I would spend my last dime and I would drive my 2002 until it said NO MAS!

Because of the uncertainty (ironically, not of death but rather how long one would live), we are conditioned to be cautious, no one wants to live in poverty when old, right? So. I would guess that 99% of us, would err and die with unspent money or unfulfilled dreams!

Everybody saves for retirement, what is worse is that they wait for retirement to live their life. My take is, I can't wait! The clock is ticking! I would rather spent my late years with memories and poor, than with a lot of money in the bank and regrets.

FAQ Member # 91

I think I need two '02s. One to keep in pristine condition. This one would be the completely stripped, nuts-n-bolts resto. It would be to show off just how beautiful these cars are when 'new' and to have bragging rights on doing the project myself.

This one would be driven on sunny weekends and to shows only. It would be enjoyed but in a much different way than the second one.

The second one would be for "driving", much like the one I have now.

This one would have a cam'd motor and too many carbs ;^)

It would have a 5sp and LSD. The suspension would not be for anyone with a bad back...or who is pregnant.

The interior would be removed except for the two front seats.

Aftermarket gauges to keep track of the vitals...and a stereo for those long drives in between canyons.

The rust will have been 'arrested' but not necessarily fixed. Dents, chipped paint, primer etc are all fine on this one.

That pretty accurately describes my feelings on the matter. But at this point I recognize I don't have the time/space/budget for a full off nuts and bolts resto, and I also wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much. I'll leave the restorations to the detail oriented, the people who will enjoy the order and perfection of a like-new car.

I'll be out driving the wheels off my slightly rusted, shoddily painted, loud, obnoxious, cobbled together ultimate driving machine! :D

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

I think of the cars that keep a person's memory alive: James Dean's Porsche Spyder, Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang or the rare Jaguar he raced down Mullholland Drive, or here in Dayton, a Packard which was once owned by Al Capone. (granted, the Dean death car was totalled) When Adam West is long gone, the Batmobile will keep him alive in our pop culture memory. How about the cars redone by Chip Foose? They will live on long after he has passed, but wouldn't he be pleased? Councours shows highlight famous p.o.'s such as movie stars, sultans, princes, tycoons, etc. The car gets another lease on life due to the fame of its p.o. to some extent.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

just a caretaker. Most of the older cars I've owned that had any intrinsic or "uniqueness" value (356's, 911's, MGB, Rometsch, etc) have passed from my hands into the possession of someone else who's at least caring for them (and who, in at least one case, has done a spectacular restoration).

I agree that our vehicles, like the other artifacts of our lives, are part of our history, say something about how we live our lives, and are worthy of being preserved.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

words I need to but:

I agree with the gent to have two cars, one nice and one to drive.

He nailed me on that one. The touring turned out pretty nice and inspite of the needling I get that I should drive it, I have no compelling reason to do so. It will stay nice for a few months longer.

Now the yellow car, I drive it everywhere about anytime (no snow though). It has been down south, up north and out west. I drive it almost daily at least weekly. If something needs adjustment, I try and adjust and get it back on the road. It has aftermarket gauges, stereo, rough ride, no back seat etc. It is built to drive.

I am trying to duplicate what I have in the way of cool parts and bits. The two boys will each have one of each to sell when it becomes theirs. So far so good on duplicating the cool parts. They each will have a pretty cool car to keep or sell. It will be interesting to see which boy ends up with what car.

So, until that day, all is good so far.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I figure when I get sick of all this shit,

I'll just forget to brake for 5a at Seattle.

That should just about do it.

I don't expect the car to survive, either...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL