• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002. HELP!

I<3BMW

Mike, the short answer is "the cleanest most rust-free car you can afford."

The longer answer is there is the personal taste question, the smog question, the rust question, and the price question.

Although there is no accounting for personal taste, to many people, a round tail light 2002 with chrome bumpers (68 through 73) is THE 2002. Of course if you prefer the big bumpers and square taillights of the 74 through 76, that's cool too.

The previous post referred to the higher level of smog equipment mandated when EPA requirements increased in 1975. I'd say cars 1975 through 1977 from ANY manufacturer are the least desirable years, as it took every manufacturer a while to get this stuff right. If you're NOT in CA, it probably matters less, as outside of CA most of these cars have been modified and very few have the original smog stuff on them.

The rust question is really paramount, and ties into the price question. Any amount of mechanical work is trivial and cheap compared to any amount of body and / or paint work.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Mike, the short answer is "the cleanest most rust-free car you can afford."

The longer answer is there is the personal taste question, the smog question, the rust question, and the price question.......

Whether round or square light, in addition to looking for "the cleanest most rust free car you can afford", it'll pay dividends to give some serious pre-purchase consideration to exactly what you want in terms of color, originality, modifications, etc, as well.

If you like modified cars, try to find one with as many of the modifications you want already done (as long as they were done well) - modified cars almost never recoup the cost of the modifications when they're sold, so you can usually save quite a bit by letting someone else do the work and absorb the cost of modifications.

One other suggestion - if you don't know '02s fairly well, you'll probably benefit by taking someone knowledgable with you when you go to look at cars - '02s are relatively simple critters, but there are a number of areas where having someone along who knows where to look and what to look for can help you avoid buying someone else's problems.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)