• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 BUYERS GUIDE SUGGESTIONS

I<3BMW

Im planning on buying an 02 but i havent decided what year to get but the main thing that i want to know is, things that i should know or should be looking for when looking at 02s. What are common problems with 02s? Im kinna new to this . So any help that anyone can give id appreciate it. Thanks.

here's a nice intro into the World of 30-Year Old

BMW 1602 - 2002 automobiles. best of luck

finding a car, Happy Holidays.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,520363/#520363[/b]

my02Winter20023a.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

really only two things to be wary of:

1.Rust. really, all else is easy to fix/replace comparitively.

2.the lying thieving scum that sold me my 02 on ebay (Jason Brenner ,NC). I was told I was buying a restored 75, instead I ended up with a restorable salvage car. yeah the fucker sold me a salvage.

Honestly the most stressful part about owning a 02 was buying it.

it 's a nonstop project though but I love it and I love driving it.

oh yeah,

also muy importante: before you buy, retain the services of an 02 guru in your vicinity. then, plus this board, you'll be able to sleep soundly.

square tail vs. round tail? for finnicky cats.

both versions are cool, and uniquie in their own right.

do your homework.

and then go see it , touch it, drive it.

but watch our for nutty dudes too. I had one guy claim I destroyed his car after I test drove it around the block. of course the next day, he called to tell me the hose had come off his brake booster ( because it lacked a clamp !)/

never even apologized.

but in the end the good far outweighs the bad.

ciao.

75 Manila

Where's Alonso?

Guest Anonymous
Im planning on buying an 02 but i havent decided what year to get but the main thing that i want to know is, things that i should know or should be looking for when looking at 02s. What are common problems with 02s? Im kinna new to this . So any help that anyone can give id appreciate it. Thanks.

Since you are "kinna" new to this, reading the posts in this forum may be time consuming but well worth the effort since the threads are as comprehensive as could be. If you are impatient and seek a three page answer, go to the library and find the book entitled "BMW's Buyers guide." You are asking a question with an infinite number of answers.

here's more on rust

Look for signs of shoddy rust repair... such as in the rocker panels right in front of the rear tires, in the trunk on the rear shock towers and in the spare tire well and on the nose of the car beneath the "chin" bump.

Look for sections of repainted car "with minor bubbles"... small bubbles or reappearing rust under reconditioned areas indicate shoddy rust repair and those areas will need to be redone

If you look at nothing else underneath the car, take a good hard look at the frame rails. Look at them carefully for discoloration, bubbles, and holes, or worse-- missing sections. If you can, poke at them with a small screwdriver

I shy away from crappy aftermarket additions like moonroofs unless properly done. (I'm partial to the webasto ragtops really) This type of damage can be undone, but can be costly.

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS