• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, I know this is lame but what would you put on your list

justinevert

OK, I know that this has probably been asked for BUT this is a twist.

You have to write it in a way for a Non-2002 person frame of mind (i.e. wife).

Why am I doing this?, well after 3 years of "what do you want for Christmas? what do want for Christmas?" and trying to explain to my wife what I really wanted for my 02 (and my garage/mancave), I thought maybe find a better way to explain.

Hopefully I can use this for next year.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Guest Anonymous
OK, I know that this has probably been asked for BUT this is a twist. You have to write it in a way for a Non-2002 person frame of mind (i.e. wife). Why am I doing this?, well after 3 years of "what do you want for Christmas? what do want for Christmas?" and trying to explain to my wife what I really wanted for my 02 (and my garage/mancave), I thought maybe find a better way to explain. Hopefully I can use this for next year. Justin

OK, if you can't explain this obsession or strong interest to your spouse, maybe you shouldn't be married to her. OK, my first marriage failed for lack of communication. Still going strong on my second for 16 years. Some things do not require explanation. OK?

Merry Christmas!

My wife is a saint, but any hint I drop -- especially car-related hints -- is like the tree falling in the forest. I've long since given up on hints and instead just buy stuff for myself. Around the holidays this elicits some (mostly good-natured) wails, like "you're doing it again! Why don't you tell me what these things are so I can tell (your mother, my sister, etc) that you want them and then THEY'LL buy them?"

Answers:

1) I find stuff cheaper.

2) I don't want to risk someone getting it wrong.

3) Like I'm really going to specify to a non-car-person a set of 2002 door sill mouldings, a through-the-wall exhaust fan, and a Pullzall.

Fortunately as I've crossed big five-oh, this curmudgeonly behavior seems to be more accepted. It's taken me 30 years to train them, but it seems to be working.

:^)

--Rob

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

as I do receiving car parts for the holiday!

If pressed, I usually give them the make, model, manufacturer, price & store for the best deal for all.

A gift certificate from the big box BMW parts suppliers (or detail companies) will do as well as Home Depot or Lowe's - I've never not used them!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Guest Anonymous

This reminds me of a lame dear Abby question. My husband won't go with me to the ballet, what should I do? or My husband does not like cats, what should I do?

Who wears the overalls in your family?

You need a marriage counselor with a parts department background.

None of us really know you nor do we know your wife well enough to seriously answer this question. Maybe your close friends and family could help. You married her, you should be able to persuade her or she should be able to politely tolerate your interests. Doesn't it work both ways?

Seasons greetings!

I have my mother trained to get me gift certificates from Foreign Car Service instead of sox, sweaters, and brightly colored shirts which I'd never wear once. I have given my dad specific '02 items to buy for me and exactly where to buy them, but he prefers writing a check so I can go get it myself. The best gift is my wife understanding my "NEED" to go to certain events and my "NEED" to have this '02 addiction.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Guest Anonymous
Gift certificate to sears. Craftsman tools are almost as high quality as Snap-On with that wonderful lifetime warranty. That way - everyone wins. Ken

Win?? Maybe?

The two Sears I recently visited barely had a tool section making returns a potential problem. KMART also sells Craftsman, but judging from the way companies are merging and paring dead weight, may as well go for Husky brand at Home Depot or Lowes. Then there's always Harbor freight. JCPenny and Montgomery Ward used to sell tools and even auto parts too! Its almost as if Santa is stealing quotes from this board:

Grow a damned sack.
ha ha ha merry Christmas! lol

As strange as it may seem, we are fortunate to have one of the best stocked Sears tool departments in the country. I've never had a Craftsman tool fail in the 35 odd years I've used them. Sure, there are specialty tools they don't carry, but it's amazing what they do have. You might want to request their tool catalog, which is often not in view for the casual customer. As a side note, the Handy Andy tool kit I had as a kid would rival the quality of some of the stuff I see at big box stores...

post-5612-13667599357957_thumb.jpg

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

........... if your a reader?

then Automotive books is safe for anyone to buy for you as a gift.

Weber books

BMW Blue Binder Repair Manual (1 or 2-volume editions)

they'll have to work on that early like on eBay tolacate one for you

BMW books - about 50 titles availible today

look at BMWUSA web site for Mobile Tradition Gifts section

books - and they can order from any dealer

you give them the title, and let them hunt and gather it for you

Good Luck (next year)

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

The tool business, like the car business and other retail enterprises are no longer what they once were. Maybe things will get better. I certainly hope so.

My wife is a saint, but any hint I drop -- especially car-related hints -- is like the tree falling in the forest. I've long since given up on hints and instead just buy stuff for myself. Around the holidays this elicits some (mostly good-natured) wails, like "you're doing it again! Why don't you tell me what these things are so I can tell (your mother, my sister, etc) that you want them and then THEY'LL buy them?"

Answers:

1) I find stuff cheaper.

2) I don't want to risk someone getting it wrong.

3) Like I'm really going to specify to a non-car-person a set of 2002 door sill mouldings, a through-the-wall exhaust fan, and a Pullzall.

Fortunately as I've crossed big five-oh, this curmudgeonly behavior seems to be more accepted. It's taken me 30 years to train them, but it seems to be working.

:^)

--Rob

+1

Many moons ago (about 30 years) my college GF did not buy me the momo steering wheel I told her many times I wanted for Xmas. Why I asked. Because, she said, you want something very particular and I didn't want to get the wrong one.

Although she dumped me six months later, she hit the nail on the head. Buying tools and car parts is a man's job, unless it is a woman who wants the tools or car parts. In that case, it's a woman's job. But either way, it is the job of the person who wants the tool or car parts.

Let the wife buy you a sweater or something...

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/