• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voting Thread for January Car of the Month! -CLOSED

robspeed

Im doing this in a seperate thread (contrary to what i said earlier) because i think it will be cleaner/simpler this way rather than the other way..

original nomination thread here.

Alright, our first nomination is from Skip in Arkansas, for Bo Black and his '74tii:

Well, I was going to wait, but since nobody else has stepped up to the plate I am nominating my close friend Bo Black's incredible red '74 tii. I have many photos of Bo's car, but only a few here at work. None really do the car justice. It's a stunner...a real head turner. This car has won more awards than just about any '02 I know. Bo and his lovely wife Barbara purchased this car in 1981 and used it as a daily driver for many many years. They considered selling the car but Bo reconsidered and decided to have the car painted and keep it. That's where the insanity all began. Externally, aside from the beautiful paint, the car features Euro bumpers and a killer set of Compomotive wheels with custom shells. The interior features classic black Recaros in front with a matching rear seat. The suspension is comprised of H&R springs with Bilstein sport shocks and struts. Urethane bushings are used in all the "normal" locations and an Ireland Engineering front tubular swaybar is used in conjunction with a vintage 22mm solid rear bar. Anybody who's ever followed Bo down a twisty mountain road knows his suspension is set up really well. The driveline features a E21 5 speed OD transmission installed and shifted with the awesome 2002 Haus kit and a fully rebuilt 3.9:1 LSD unit. The engine was fully rebuilt early during the "resto-mod" process. It features forged 10.25:1 compression pistons and a 92mm cylinder bore. The Kugelfischer pump has been modified to function properly with the increased compression and displacement. The exact specifics of the camshaft have never been disclosed to me...Hmmm?? In the works is an Alpina A4 injection system. I can't wait to see it installed! I also need to mention that Bo and Barbara are the gracious hosts of the Mid-America '02 Fest held each spring in beautiful Eureka Springs, Arkansas. www.midamerica02fest.com

Additionally, Bo is the founder of the "True Friends of Alex Von Falkenhausen"...a 2002 driving club / enthusiast group. (One automatically becomes a member by participating in the Mid-America fest or the annual "True Friends" Fall Scenic Drive) If it sounds like I'm nominating the owner as much as the car I guess I am. The car is worthy of COTM status by its own merit...But the car and owner together are what makes this one so special.

okzxbo.jpg

Next up is 76Scott02's '76:

Okay, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I nominate myself, more specifically my 1976 Chamonix 2002. This car has been in my family since it was purchased by my brother 32 years ago. This is now my second turn at ownership and I am in the process of bringing her back to her former glory. As it is right now, the car is in amazing condition, but a tired engine and some other issues make restoration necessary. Anyway, a beautiful car and a pretty neat story.

02_front.jpg

02_rear.jpg

Our third and final entry is FunElan's rather abbreviated entry for his '68 1600:

Bo's car is beautiful, but I'll nominate my car for the hell of it. It's a DD Caribe 1600 with a 2.0L, recaros, etc.

id,27929

id,27930

VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!

=)

Since my description is rather abbreviated I'll elaborate a bit.

Two years ago I was a 15 year old who loved cars. My father always told me about his tii and how much he loved it, and he said I should get an 02 for my first car. I started looking on craigslist everyday, till I found one of those ads with blurry pictures and slurred words in the type. My father and I emailed the seller, and didn't really expect to hear back, but about a month later we did. Upon first sight of the car in front of the seller's Venice home, I was in love. The blue color of the paint was too pretty, and the car was in our driveway the next day. Ever since then I have dreamed about all of the things I would love to do with this car, and slowly but surely they have come true. I'm now 17 years old and I love driving the car everyday.

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Bo and Scott you have beautiful cars...but I'm casting my vote for Matt's Caribe 1600. I love that car and , well, I guess I love my son a little, too.

Who else here can boast that their kid tapped into their mid-life crisis and wangled a sweet ride for themselves out of the deal! (He did pay for the car himself.)

Every kid should have one of these as a first car (and 2nd and 3rd!). What a great way to fall in love with true motoring and learn about the dynamics of driving - with a car that is such an extension of the driver.

69 1600 Voll Cabriolet (The Cab, aka Cabriolina)

69 (1600) Lotus Elan (the Lo-lo, aka FunElan)

16 (2500) Nissan Rogue (hate that CVT)

I love Bo's car, in fact a pic of it has a place of prominence on the wall at work.....BUT...I must step out for Matt's 1600, it represents the enthusiasm and passion our generation has had for over 30 years, being carried on in the next generation.

07Regroup.jpg

15Lotsabikes.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours