• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 Alpina Turbo 'Replica'. 1974.

erneland

It all started a couple of years ago. With kids and work offshore the time hasn't really been there but the car is ' nearly' finished .."I just have to change that ... and do this!".. Well.. you get the picture huh? =)

IMG_0442.jpg

M10.jpg

ny_bur.jpg

ny_bur_svets.jpg

BMW02_rrram_fram3.jpg

front_med_motor.jpg

fuel_sys2.jpg

Alpina_fram_bak.jpg

Alpina_bak2.jpg

Pedalstll2.jpg

prime2.jpg

Lackad.jpg

lackad2.jpg

framvagn.jpg

I have 3 engines and this one is built to output about 210hp (without turbo).

Ny_motor.jpg

The fuel system looks better with some paint on!

Fuelsys-1.jpg

Looks like a twister has passed in the garage.. no it was only me doing some violent upgrades ;-)

bmw02front_matt2.jpg

Inlet manifold with individual throttle bodies. I'm not going to use this though.

plenum.jpg

The latest picture. There is an extreme turbo engine under construction but for 2009 I will most likely use the naturally aspirated M10 engine.

bmw02-1.jpg

I will update with all the specs later. Have to run after my 1.5 year old...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks' for the comments. It encourage me to continue. I have to add that this project couldn't continue without the help from my friends (you know who you are ;-)).

Specifications:

Engine 1:

M10 Turbo. E21 head with Z55 Custom grinded cam shaft (for turbo purposes).

Steel rocker arms (BMW motorsport).

Rocker arm locks.

Engine block 90.5mm with forged Mahle flat top pistons. The cylinder sleves has rings cut around them and so called 'pyramid rings' will be placed there (pictures later).

SPM (Sten Parner Motor) rods (H-profile) 144(?)mm long.

The first step run this motor with a gtbb28gtr turbo but in the long run that will not last for the approx. 550-600hp that the engine is built for. Using the car on track days will not require that amount of power though (or will it? =) ).

Engine 2:

E12 Head with stainless steel valves, 304 Shrick cam shaft, adjustable cam sprocket. JE pistons (12,1:1 ratio) with Total seal rings . S14 rods.

Engine management system: VEMS (vems.hu).

Chassis:

Rear: Rebuilt rear assembly with LSD from e30 (biggest version) 25% slip but I have 40% as an option. Dione axels and 20mm adjustable sway bar.

Solid 'silent' blocks (aluminium) and Power flex bushings.

Rear brakes from e21 323i. Trailing arms from the same car (bolt on).

Front:

Power flex, Tii struts with shortened Bilstein sprint and coil over conversion. Adjustable top plates alá Ireland Engineering. Turbo calipers with discs from e34 (302mm ventilated).

Short steering (don't know the correct translation for that word but it's a short steering 'device' ;-).

Glass fibre doors (4.5kg each), glass fibre hood and lid + alpina flares.

Full roller cage with rebuilt front (see pictures earlier).

Compomotive split rims 16". 8" in front 9" rear.

Thats' all I can remember after a few beers.

Cheers!

Turbo calipers with discs from e34 (302mm ventilated).

How did you make that fit? Did you go for 5x120? I'm interested in some pics if you have any.

IMG_5647.jpg

broms_e34.jpg

The disc itself is re-drilled. The hole pattern is then 4x100 and centered with the help of an spacer that is 15mm thick. I can take all pictures you want of the setup and also give you drawings etc. For the moment the car isn't in my garage though. The new drive shaft is installed in another garage :-).

It might be better to get bigger calipers but this setup really looks massive and I don't want to stress the struts too much. I will make cuts in the disc to get better cooling. The most advantage is that the center off the disc is so big that you can lead cooling air in there and make the brakes work MUCH better than the standard 'big conversion' kits etc. I've tried the Volvo calipers and 323i discs and that worked fine as well but friends of mine that have tested that setup on track said it didn't last for long.

It's a sweet project you're working on. Keep the pics coming, I need my pron ;) You in Sweden?

Yes, I live in Sweden and Norway acctually. Working in Norway.

It's a shame that the dollar is so strong now, I usually buy everything from US. ;-)

I will try too post more pictures further ahead :-)

Brgds,

Michael