• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thick smell (NOT GASOLINE) on decel (tii)

fiftytakedowns

I think you are smelling two things.

1) exhaust fumes upon decel (with the holes in your cabin, you're gonna smell just a bit of oil/unburned fuel when you let off the gas at speed)

fix: tune the engine up! Even on the best rebuilds, the engine goes thru' a few 'stages' of "less than par" tune.

check the timing - check the carb(s) - check the valves - etc

Get all that up to snuff.

2) You might be leaking oil (from tranny or engine or both) onto your exhaust. One senario might be the output seal at the driveshaft.

As the tranny and DS shift alignment when decel'ing a drip or two or five might seep past the seal and onto the DS...then it flings the wonder lube in airplane propeller fashion onto the exhaust.

Now you have "fumes" from two places whenever you go to slow down from speed or any hard accelleration.

Just guessing here.

As preveiously offered, crawl under your car 'safely' and inspect for leaks.

And tune your engine.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

Thank you for the advice.

i replaced the plugs, wires, and rotor recentley. My car's mixture was done by JP CADOUX at A1 imports less than 500 miles ago. THe motor has about 1750 new miles on it

mixture was done at about 1250 Miles.

That is why I might rule out the mixture issues.

There is a hole under the drivers side under the carpet, the factory drains i think. They are about 3 inches wide, one does not have the circular metal part on it. That might be a problem I'd assume.

Especially on a 'new' motor, as things 'seat' and the weather shifts a bit, you'll find a need to check/readjust valves, timing, carb etc.

Maybe your's is special ;)

Now that hole in the floor??!!! HA! yeah, get that and any others closed up.

find that leak. Be safe, have fun!

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

Guest Anonymous
I do tune ups around every 1500 miles. I adjusted valves etc.. 500 miles ago

Every 1500 miles? Sounds like you spend more time tuning than driving. Unless you beat the living hell out of your car and race it competitively, your car should remain in tune well beyond that interval. That includes the valves and points and plugs and anything else you call a tuneup. If your engine needs to be tuned that often, and you plugs are fouling or points burning- something is wrong.

With all of your tune ups, maybe you are doing more harm than good and this may have something to do with your exhaust complaints. If you are driving a car with one of the 5" floorpan plugs missing, isn't it obvious enough to fix it before being reminded to do so? What is covering the hole, carpet remnant? As someone else mentioned, unless your car is a full time convertible, a hole there is the perfect candidate to suck up exhaust fumes from a leaky system.

Be safe rather than sorry!

I do tune ups around every 1500 miles. I adjusted valves etc.. 500 miles ago

Every 1500 miles? Sounds like you spend more time tuning than driving. Unless you beat the living hell out of your car and race it competitively, your car should remain in tune well beyond that interval. That includes the valves and points and plugs and anything else you call a tuneup. If your engine needs to be tuned that often, and you plugs are fouling or points burning- something is wrong.

With all of your tune ups, maybe you are doing more harm than good and this may have something to do with your exhaust complaints. If you are driving a car with one of the 5" floorpan plugs missing, isn't it obvious enough to fix it before being reminded to do so? What is covering the hole, carpet remnant? As someone else mentioned, unless your car is a full time convertible, a hole there is the perfect candidate to suck up exhaust fumes from a leaky system.

Be safe rather than sorry!

I did tune ups that often cause I am a little paranoid, and also not a professional. When JP Cadoux does my tune ups, I leave it alone until the next time he checks up on everything.

And for ignoring the other problems... well I get sidetrackeD as to what really is important. It is kindof a beater, so I really didn't pay much attention to anything but the motor, and the drivetrain. I finally decided to do something about the smell when my girlfriend was hesitant to go on drives with me :/ otherwise I didn't really mind.