• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing pin holding arm to transmission

I've seen plenty of posts about the pin dropping out and the stick shift flopping around. It's happened to me twice now and in fact I lost the pin. The is an old style shifter so the arm that goes between the stick and the selector on the trans is held in place at the trans side with a pin through a sleeve and another sleeve that goes around that. I've lost the pin and the outer sleeve so I'm thinking about using a bolt and nylock nut and carry a spare. Either that or make up a pin with groove at either end for circlips. It's a pita to drop that pin and not an easily done roadside fix. I'm looking to build a better mousetrap here and looking for other's experiences. I've done the search function and didn't really see any approaches to do a do it yourself part replacement. This is on a 68 1600 with a 74 4 speed - and yes I did find I had to change the arm length between the stick and selector.

Thanks

Pete

how about using a hose clamp to contain the pin?

would have to see if the screw head would interfere in any way, though.

i just disassembled the shifter mechanism on a 72 i'm working on and saw that the spring-steel sleeve is missing. i'd prefer to replace the missing spring-sleeve if it's still available.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa