• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions?

cpolyak

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1973-BMW-2002-tii-Sunroof_W0QQitemZ330297664395QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item330297664395&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

The last time I asked opinions on a roundie, it was torn apart by you guys like a great white shark feeding on a school of guppies. Looking for thoughts on this guy before placing a bid and contacting seller.

Thanks!

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

From the pics - here's what I see wrong:

They put speakers in the rear deck.

And there is a roundel on the dash where the clock should be.

Actually - that looks like a really nice car. New door cards with good chrome and no speaker holes. Seats look great. Trunk looks solid. Wrinkles on the inside of the engine compartment look like the die marks that we have all seen before. Square washer bottle, but hey, I have one of those.

Get one of the NC 02ers to go and look at that one, start it, drive it, shift it, check numbers, look at other rust spots (bottom of doors, rockers, spare tire well).

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Guest Anonymous

As one of the sharks, let me say this guppie looks MUCH better and should receive serious consideration. There is no evidence of a quickie paint job for flipping the car.

The good news: exterior and interior looks very clean. the engine compartment and trunk appear to be in nice shape. It even has the orignal steering wheel, which is often replaced by an E21 or after-market wheel. The E30 14" wheels are very clean, but also a very common, and economical replacement.

Before I placed a higher bid, I'd like to see photos, or a report of, the spare tire wheel well, under the rear seat and the flooring in the front seat area, rockers and the rear quater panels; all these area are common rust areas.

Finally, small issues: the retangular washer bottle is BMW, but not original, the passenger door handle is missing the rubber insert ($5 item), two of the rubber gaskets that isolate engine fumes from the passenger compartment appear to be missing, and of course the clock space has been covered over with a hood logo. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

I really can't make good opinions based on those TERRIBLE pictures!!! I would NEVER expect top dollar based on pix like those...

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

and I'm sure Uncle CD will jump in at some point.

Don't do anything without having someone (you or a good representative) go and put the good ole MK I eyeball on this car.

Pictures show that it looks way nicer than the last one. But - for that money, some needs to look at it in real life, and drive it.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I saw that '02 in October when I was in NC for 02BERFEST. The fellow who restored it brought it along for the drive and showed it off for us, hoping to sell it. He usually restores P-cars instead, but he took this one on as a project. I did not learn the car's history, but it sure looked mighty fine to all of us. What does Mike Pugh think? -- & you, Sam Adams?

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

When I asked if he could provide the history of the car, along with some photos of the rear and under body, the seller responded. . .

"Are you serious?"

He doesn't sound like a pleasant individual to deal with and didn't want to answer basic questions. Not sure how you can expect someone to bid that much money without a piece of mind of what they are getting into!

- Chris

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

Guest Anonymous

Being unnecessarily indignant is a standard negotiating ploy for hiding important facts. You are right to walk away from this seller.

Roger

'72 Malaga

I've been to his shop, and he is a very serious Porsche guy who only plays with the best low mileage cars. $$$$ He was considering buying an e9 coupe at the time (bout a year ago). I met him by accident as his shop is next door to where my 914 is (not) being restored. Long story...Having seen his Porsche resto's, I would be very surprised if he's hiding anything, but he is selling it, right? I'm going to try to see it tomorrow, as I have to be in Hickory, to see it close up again. I wanted to buy the car before he had it (twenty years ago?), left the guy a note and never heard anything from him. Last year was the first time I'd seen it since then. If I get to see it, I'll try to report back in...Dave V. in western NC

$12K it already the limit - I'm afraid for the seller,

who is expecting to recoop the furtune? he's invested.

and the photos do stink,

and don't show the whole story

NEVER spend that kind of money without roadtesting FIRST !

Happy New Year

0737_1.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Maybe the tone of your query aggravated him for some reason. Why don't you post the complete exchange here?

Pretty car. Silly to have the Roundel where the clock belongs.

GL,

Ray

When I asked if he could provide the history of the car, along with some photos of the rear and under body, the seller responded. . .

"Are you serious?"

He doesn't sound like a pleasant individual to deal with and didn't want to answer basic questions. Not sure how you can expect someone to bid that much money without a piece of mind of what they are getting into!

- Chris

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Meetings ran too late and didn't get to catch a look before doctor's apppt. Will try again Wed. I know that's tight for the auction, but locked up tomorrow. Price is getting up there, but I'm not surprised...Like I said, everything that I've seen that he's done is very, very nice. Wish I could afford another one right now. One of my two favorite colors; Riviera and Baikal....So what do I own?, A Nevada (wrong color, but beautiful) 76 and a Taiga 76 (not finished). You cant always get what you want....and maybe that's a good thing. Dave V. in NC