• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this and can I get rid of it?

I am wrapping up an EDIS conversion (with MSII) and am trying to get rid of the coil and related components. As far as I know, the only wire I need to keep from the bundle going to the passenger side of the engine bay is the black tach wire. This goes to the negative side of the coil and also ties into the condensor, correct? The reason I ask is there was also a black wire going to the positive side of the coil that gets very low voltage with ignition.

What is this big relay looking thing outlined in red? It was located where the red arrow is in my diagram \/ \/ \/

If the big red outlined relay looking thing isn't needed, can I just cut all the wires where the green line is?

-The Ranger

post-2529-13667599662408_thumb.jpg

-Cody

'73 Deuce, the "Snailmobile"

sorry i can't answer your question, but,

why don't you merely wrap any unwanted wire in a neat bundle using cloth friction tape or common electric tape and store it neatly out of the way? the next owner of your car may thank you.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

You should have at least 2 wires going over there - one key-on power and one for the tach. If the car is equipped with a ballast resistor (which could be the relay looking thing you pointed out), then you should also have a wire that is hot when the engine is cranking. During cranking the ballast resistor is bypassed and full battery voltage is provided to the coil. Once the car lights up, the ballast resistor comes in to play and the voltage to the coil is reduced.

For the electronic ignition conversion you are talking about you would not need any of the ballast resistor related components or wiring. If you have already located the tach wire, you should also find the key-on power wire - this may be needed there depending on where you have things located, or it should be insulated if it is not needed in that location.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

I am not going tell you what wires to cut, but the relay looking thing is the coil resistor "starting bypass relay".

The coil resistor, aka ballast resistor, looks like a ceramic block with a terminal at each end.

You certainly wont need that with the EDIS setup.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Just plug and pray.

Tell us about it when it runs.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

The black on - of coil is tach, + side of coil unfused +12v. actived through key switch. silver box is windshield washer bottle pump, and wiper motor. Tach wire will need both coil packs trigger from EDIS control box. All tach info should be available on fourm search.

That's not the washer pump; it's the flux capacitor.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

The black on - of coil is tach, + side of coil unfused +12v. actived through key switch. silver box is windshield washer bottle pump, and wiper motor. Tach wire will need both coil packs trigger from EDIS control box. All tach info should be available on fourm search.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.