• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 BMW 1600-2 Restoration

sebandwhit

Nice looking 1600s and 2002s in here! Glad to see some other 1600 owners.

I just bought a '70-build 1600 (registered as a '71). Very original car aside from one respray. Should be here on Saturday, with any luck, or Sunday morning.

I'll post pictures when it arrives. I've not actually seen it in person, just photos and got a "review" from a third party who lives near it and has owned a couple of these.

It will be my second BMW - I had a '75 malaga 2002.

Plans are to keep it 100 percent stock aside from adding swaybars and maybe a 3' tall spoiler (kidding on the latter...)

post-16195-13667600286939_thumb.jpg

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Sebastian,

I would love to see which stickers are still under the hood to compare to my 1664169 2002. Also, if you still have the long neck differential your half shaft boots are probably toast, I have a write up on how to R&R them, just send me an e-mail.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

• 1 month later...

I havent done too much to the car since I last posted. This next weekend my wife and son are going to visit with family they havent seen in a while, and she suggested that I work on my car over the weekend. Weird... I must be doing something right! So Im getting all my parts together so I car start pulling the car apart this weekend. I almost got another 69 1600-02 for free this last weekend but the guy decided to keep it. It would have been a great car to fix up but oh, well. I need to focus on this one right now. I hope to have a few more pictures up soon.

Let me know how you other early projects are going... there are some good looking cars out there.

68' 2002 (Project)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, there are pieces of that car covering my garage. I took off the front fenders to replace them due to rust issues and found a little more rust. I have been taking pictures but need to upload them. Im glad its not too much rust though. I just bought some carpet and am gathering all my extra parts together to sell. I have a few carbs, a cannon intake, and a stock one. I have a limited slip dif from a 76' and a few other things to sell. I did straighten my front grills and now I need to take off the rest of the beltline trim. Im trying to get all the bodywork and paint in the engine compartment these next two weeks to install the new motor. The only things I really need are early front 2002 seats. I have the later ones. I also need new or good used door rubber and window seals. I promise to post pictures soon.

How is everyone elses projects going? Im very interested to see what these ealry cars of ours look like when they are completed.

After the addition of two more kids the project has been sold! Only to make way for a new one soon. Finally some time to do this right!

68' 2002 (Project)