• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What body kit is this?

GreenBeam

Hi, I'm new to this. My dad is giving me his old BMW 2002 (not exactly sure what year, but somewhere with in the years of square tail lights.) It has been sitting in the garadge for over 14 years. The body and interior is mint. The engine could use a tune up (Spark plugs, new fluids, air filter, gas tank assuming the current one is rusty, battery etc.) I'm wondering what are the best bang for the buck mods (good quality yet at a reasonable price on aftermarket parts) that will get my motor running top notch with some decent power as well as: where's the best place to shop for parts?

Also, does anyone know what body kit is shown in this pic?

ALL HELP/INFO IS GREATLY APRECIATED!!!

BMW.jpg

If you've got a mint body, I wouldn't recommend that body kit; plus it's not my cup of tea. But, it looks to be a custom adaption off a kit for an E30.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

your car already has decent power. get it tuned up right and you'll be surprised. later on, easiest upgrade is just goin with bigger carbs.

hang around here for a while before deciding whether you want to 'mod' anything.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Guessing here, but with box flares on the front, bubbles on the rear and those strakes going into the doors, that thing is an amalgamation of 3 or 4 kits and a LOT of custom work.

Impressive, if a little ostentatious. I actually kind of like it... but why is there a hood bulge and vent over the exhaust side of the motor..?

Beating CD to the punch here: best bang-for-your-buck in performance is setting the timing, gapping a new set of plugs & points, rebuilding your carb, and adjusting your valves. Set the basics, then mess with the upgrades.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

GreenBeam,

Do some research and find out what you've already got. You'll find out alot about your car and learn how to maintain it at the same time.

Then you can tell us what you already have and we can better answer your questions. Throw us some details and pics.......

and do some reading over on the projects page... there's some great stuff there.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

I also like the double headlights, looks like its off an E21. I wonder how much work was involved in that

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Impressive, if a little ostentatious. I actually kind of like it... but why is there a hood bulge and vent over the exhaust side of the motor..?

Hoping maybe its for cooling a big turbo? perhaps?

Ok probably not, but we can hope...

If you really have a mint car, sell it to someone who wants to restore one in amazing condition. Buy a beat up one to thrash on (like I did :D)

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

I also like the double headlights, looks like its off an E21. I wonder how much work was involved in that

That was a factory option on a 2002 called the Diana. I suspect it's NLA.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

The stock Diana looks like this. (Don't those lights look good for coon hunting?) I believe BLUNT can get the SUPER DIANA kit.

IMG_3104.jpg

This is my favorite e-21 with a body kit.

Oktoberfest2004012.jpg

Oktoberfest2004011.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

That E21 looks very cool! Looks like the same kit I have for my o2 but made for the e21. Kinda like, we used to make em for o2's but now we make one for the new car. There is supposed to be rocker extensions on my car but they are really NLA.

Oktoberfest2004012.jpg

Every picture I see of that Dianna, it looks like the headlights are poorly aimed. Maybe searching for the M20 motor in the heavens?

IMG_3104.jpg

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Every picture I see of that Dianna, it looks like the headlights are poorly aimed. Maybe searching for the M20 motor in the heavens?

Looks like someone took a picture of a book and not from dead-on angle. Its the curve of the page making it do that.

Every now and again dual-headlight set-ups will pop up on German e-bay. Pricey, and usually in ratty condition. I'd rather save up for the headlight-wiper system!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

any time you're pulling a car out of multi-year long term storage, it's advisable not to attempt to start it until a number of maintenance issues have been addressed:

1) Replace ALL the fuel hoses, fuel filter, etc

2) Drain the gas tank, rinse it out, check for leaks and put in a couple of gallons of fresh gas

3) Drain, flush and refill the cooling system, check all the hoses, and replace any hoses that look marginal

4) Remove the spark plugs, squirt a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over BY HAND with a wrench on the front pulley bolt to insure that it turns freely before attempting to start it.

5) Check the wiring harness for chewed wires that might be shorted to each other or to ground - you don't need a electrical fire the first time you hook up a battery or try to start it.

Before it turns a wheel (especially under it's own power), also:

1) Flush the entire braking system, check for leaks and rotted hoses, and replace any components that look marginal

2) Check the tires for cracks, blisters or other signs of impending failure, and plan to replace ALL of them before starting to use it.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

The stock Diana looks like this. (Don't those lights look good for coon hunting?) I believe BLUNT can get the SUPER DIANA kit.

Oktoberfest2004011.jpg

again, noob speakin here: would that body kit really bolt on to a 2002? I really like that look.

[edit] neverind. I just realized you said E21