• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what dis light indicator? thanks!

new2da02

That should be the Brake light but it looks like your console was modified (based on the gauge color) so I guess it could be anything.

Check your brake fluid level and make sure the parking brake lever is all the way down.

The light should say "BRAKE" when it is illuminated.

74 Golf

those are not my guages...just needed to show position of light. also, mine doesn't say "Brakes"...just solid red. hmmm...anyone else? it very well could be the brake light and my brake fluid has gone down a little...slow leak from MC!! yikes! thanks much!

1972 BMW 2002 - M42

That is what those wires on your reservoir trigger.

Also, some of the euro cars used that as a low fuel indicator.

Set back and read your owner's manual, the orange book. It is all in there.

Coupe King sells new ones if you do not have one.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

My bad, I assumed that the one pictured was yours and that one is off of a 74 or newer model and it should have the word brake on it, older ones don't. regardless that light is the low brake fluid light, mine also illuminates when my parking brake is engaged, earlier models may not do that though, I don't recall my 68 doing that but I sold it 20 years ago so who knows.

74 Golf

On euro cars it actually serves as an indicator to the e-brake, manual choke and as a low fuel warning.

As far as I know only the 1502 came with a brake fluid warning light over here.

Not true, on my '74 tii, it functions as both as a low brake fluid indicator as well as a parking brake indicator.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

On euro cars it actually serves as an indicator to the e-brake, manual choke and as a low fuel warning.

As far as I know only the 1502 came with a brake fluid warning light over here.

Not true, on my '74 tii, it functions as both as a low brake fluid indicator as well as a parking brake indicator.

He was referring to the Euro cars. It looks like my euro 1802 has e-brake, manual choke, maybe low fuel (never run it that low yet), and brake fluid warning (although it looks like someone may have added that. Not really sure about that). My 76 has it for e-brake and low fluid.

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

malfunction on late model cars front calipers. This indicator can also indicate a lack of pressure balance to the front calipers.

My 76 has a pressure balance switch out on the drivers fender that monitors the fluid pressure going to the front calipers. Mine has malfunctioned and I'm currently getting that light as a result.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

is only on the 76s--and there's a reset button on the sensor itself, which is the metal "box" with all the brake lines running into it near the M/C. Look for a rubber plug; the reset switch is under the plug.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike,

I know how it got in this state, I had a stuck caliper that I used the system to help break free when I was rebuilding the calipers..... I didn't know about the reset button so thsnk for the head-up!

Todd

post-6649-13667599921415_thumb.jpg

"Common sense isn't common"

Here we go again!

My car has the red light with tiny "push-to-test" button. The brake fluid cap wires are connected to it, but I don't have a switch on my e-brake. Don't know if the gas gauge is connected to it.

post-8235-13667599924118_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

is delicate and often would get broken and tossed. Do you have an extra pair of wires around that area either inside the car or under?

P2 has the push to test light too but now e-brake light. Switch long gone I think. Do you have the original owners manual? See what it says.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

BTW - I have a Certificate from BMW MT confirming my car was made on 5/30/73 and delivered to "BMW Importer" in New York on 6/4/73.

My manual (looks to be a 72 version but also has pictures of the aluminum intake runners) says:

The red warning lamp is illuminated if:

1) Fuel tank level drops to the reserve mark

2) Handbrake is applied

3) Choke knob is pulled (does not apply to 2002 automatic and tii)

No reference to the brake fluid warning, so maybe my manual is for the wrong year. The wiring diagram on the tii registry website for Model 71 USA tii's has the brake fluid warning switch but not the handbrake.

Also: All pictures of the handbrake in the manual do not show the switch, does someone have a good photo of this? Are the wires routed below the tunnel or inside?

And: Both my front seats have electrical plugs for what looks like a seat belt buzzer, but they aren't connected to one. I couldn't find a buzzer/relay below the dash, but this coincides with the Model 71 USA tii wiring diagram.

And: The only extra wires I found below my car are for the neutral safety switch [as Chris (aka Stone) replied to my earlier post].

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"