• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S14 TB's

Got this from forum member and thought I'd try to finish it. S14 E30 M3 throttle bodies with adapter plate for M10 head.

Took off work early to head down to Ireland and chat with Jeremy and Jeff.

They will clean the ports up to match both the head and throttle body. The plate was really rough but the holes seem to be lining up good enough. As you can see we have laid out the gaskets for porting. Water neck is in the way of the TPS so have to cut away and weld aluminum in place. Should be done by Next week.

Will be running with 24# injectors, and will test fit this on JohnC's car when ready. I will also show my uncle the finished adapter plate to see if he can duplicate it for others.

Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions?

BTW any one has S14 stock injectors and fuel rail available???

post-3448-13667600343057_thumb.jpg

post-3448-13667600343912_thumb.jpg

post-3448-13667600344856_thumb.jpg

In the event that someone wants to use a variable TPS they (i.e. for megasquirt or other management systems they may need to use an adapter that would space the tps even further out than is already is. You might want to take that into consideration in terms of the water neck fitment if possible.

[/url]http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28707&highlight=tps+adapter&page=8

Airbox_2.jpg

Grover,

You want the injectors as close to shoot at the valves as possible. By making a plate intead of runners the injectors are right up against the head.

but even if its only a small distance it could still effect how they work. But it really depends on how different the S14 heads are to the M10 heads. I think it would mostly effect fuel efficiency. As newer model cars have the "direct" injection and it does save some MPG but its only very small. I do believe however you also get slightly better performance.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Will having the adapter plate in there, such that the bolts line up on the ITBs and the head, cause any problems for the injectors? Basically, will the extra 3/8" or so that the fuel has to travel cause any issues?

Ideally the injectors should spray at the back of the intake valve, but don't forget that many cars with throttle body injection (including Corvettes) injected the fuel at the air intake end. It's not the best way to go, but it worked much better than carburetors. 3/8 of an inch will make no noticeable difference.

W.B.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

The injector placement depends on powerband if you want to maximize the placement. Having the injectors way far out is only an advantage if you are running such high RPM's that the fuel has sufficient time to atomize.

So, running on my standstill-4500rpm engine, injectors at the opening of the intakes would be useless. However, if I was running the engine to 8000-9000RPM, then I would see a benefit.

Bryan

red73

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

• 3 months later...

I stopped by Ireland yesterday evening to drop off some things for Jeremy and to discuss about the adapter plate. Ordered the s54 TPS sensor to fit on Massive TPS adapter and it looks to clear the water neck welded onto the adapter plate. This was an issue of clearance with the standard TPS unit on the S14. All we need to do now to to polish up the ports and test fit for one last time before mounting on to JohnC's car for testing.

I also have to source out to a gasket company to make some custom gaskets. Once this is working copies of the plates will be made.

post-3448-13667605949426_thumb.jpeg

post-3448-13667605950489_thumb.jpeg

Hey Draco

If you used the Massive TPS spacer and the S54 TPS, you would still clear the water neck. If you want to run a simple old-style 3 position TPS, I think you should investigate as a small TPS already exists.

As for gaskets, you can have them water jet cut from 1/32" teflon sheets. No big deal.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Thank Lee. Can you give me some reference to the teflon gaskets source? BTW Thanks for the help and parts Lee. I may need your help with other stuff down the road.

I will still need to run variable TPS for Megasquirt. I like your adapter because it throws the TPS plug side upward where the stock one points down.

Le

Thank Lee. Can you give me some reference to the teflon gaskets source?

Most water jet shops can cut some teflon sheets for you. Obviously, if you make only a few units, it is expensive. Basically, you need to draw the shape and submit a dwg/Autocad file.

I will make some custom S14 oil pan gaskets using this method. Teflon can widthstand high temps, while remaining strong.

The S54 TPS works great with MS

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you have seen the original plate that was made. I am going to have a machine shop duplicate/upgrade from the original plate.

I will make it out of 1 1/4 inch material rather than the 7/8th that it came originally. This will allow the transition from one end from TB side to the head side more room to be smoother. Also i am trying to make the E21 water neck to be bolt on instead of being welded on. The only thing with this is the neck inlets will rotate down from 9 o'clock to about 7 o'clock.

Any feedback will be great regarding the water neck positioning. Trying to get it to be a bolt on system without welding required. Plus stock gaskets will also be used.

I should be getting a prototype plate made 2 weeks. Just wanted an idea of how many of you would be interested in buying this???

I am thinking making about 10 units once it has been tested and in operation. Check it out below.