• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I take my hat off to you Americans

browneskids

I often go on this forum but don't do much posting, I like to have a good browse at what everyones up to. One thing that's so "everyday" on these posts is the lengths you guys go to get get what you want. There are so many of you who think nothing of travelling through states & across boarders to buy parts for, or the whole car itself. That's commitment. Here in the UK, a journey of 50 miles + will be planned & thought out, & avoided if poss! Reading some of your posts can be a good "kick up the arse" that I need, to drive the mere 2 miles, to where my garaged Touring lies waiting for me to finish her off. You are all very inspirational. Thank you.

Kev.

post-5021-13667600396565_thumb.jpg

Work to live........

NEVER live to work

When the country one lives in is 3000 miles across one way and another 1500 miles across another, with lot's of beautiful country roads in between, it turns out just to be an excuse to go for a drive....rather long one at that. heh.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

My brother drives 95 miles each way to work, everyday....

but if you want to see Americans that complain about short trips, then try living on Oahu (Hawaii). They make a huge deal out of driving as little as 10 miles.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Glad you checked in, Kev.

Most of us own these cars, because they are so much fun to drive them. I have been known to drive 250 miles just to get to a place where I can go driving with some other 02s. Of course California has some great road to drive year around. (happens to be 79 degrees F, right now.)

You have to get that touring back on the road, they are a lot more fun "in them" rather than "under them".

Drove 100 miles just to join this group on a beautiful drive....

12Turnaround.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

In October, I drove 400 miles to join the NC/VA '02 contingent for 02BERFEST. It was well worth it to be there for the drive, cookout, brunch, etc. Plus, I found 'Dieter' in No. Alabama in '04 while on a trip, then had it shipped to Ohio. Fifty miles ain't nuttin'.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I just sold a E30 318is to a young guy from Seattle. I live about 40 miles north a SF. He flew from Seattle and I picked him up at the airport in San Fransico at 2.30 pm on Saturday. I called him on the cell phone just before I got to the airport and ask him if he wanted to drive. When I pulled up in front of the terminal he threw his bag in the trunk I jumped in the back seat and with his wife in the passenger seat we were off. When we got to my house (he really liked the car) he paid me and I gave him the papers and he was off back up Hwy 101 for the 800 mile trip back to Seattle. I called this morning and he and his wife had stayed the night in Eureka and the car was running great. It is 7.30 here so he is probably home by now. He has got to be a little tired,but I hope he enjoys the car.

Ceylon 1973 2002tii 2762669

1972 Austin Mini 1275 traded

1970 Barracuda Convertible

1974 Schwarz 2002

1955 Chevy Bel Air 2 Dr Hardtop

... Here in the UK, a journey of 50 miles + will be planned & thought out, & avoided if poss!...Kev.

Never thought about it that much until now. I drive 90 miles; one way, just to work on my car(s)over a weekend. It seems my lightened 02 gets less road time these days. It was my daily driver for four years.

I should sell, but then I would have less excuses to drive so far?

Yankee Doodle Dandy!

post-2154-13667600419377_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Come June, I'll be driving from New York to New Orleans - 1500 miles - in a car (not a BMW, I'm afraid) purchased for $500 as part of the BABE Rally. Then I'll be driving it back home to NY. My co-driver and I decided to do this in a conversation lasting roughly nine seconds. We don't really need much excuse to drive here in the Colonies, I guess.

3000 miles, cheap car, little money, and even less sense - this could only end well.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

... if you want to see Americans that complain about short trips, then try living on Oahu (Hawaii). They make a huge deal out of driving as little as 10 miles.

in New London, Connecticut in the late 60's (and driving to NYC most weekends), I was amazed at the amount of discussion and planning that folks in the city went through to organize something as simple as a weekend beach trip of 30-40 miles to Long Island, CT or NJ.

When I bought a 65 VW bug and took off to drive round trip to CA & back for a 2 week leave, everybody thought I was absolutely nuts.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

It does explain some of our fascination with overdrive transmissions,

though,

doesn't it?

t

I still don't understand that. I've driven from California to Ohio with stock 4-speed and I didn't notice any problem.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser