• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pointers for title transer to Ohio from Cali

eurotrash

Hello gents,

My seller and I are approaching the title transfer conversation here soon, and I would like to know if anyone who has experience bringing a car out of Cali would like to advise on the smoothest way to get it done?

And mostly on his end in California are there any hitches because I'm not there? I have brought a car in from Illinois, so I think I have a grip on thing here in the big OH...

Please advise!!

Thanks in advance. (I'm almost back in a 2002!!!!)

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I can't speak to the importing into Ohio end, but there should be no problem on the Cali end. The seller will have to file a release of liability listing your name as the new owner, but you don't need to sign that. The pink slip he or she can sign here and you sign it there and take it in to register the car.

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

Along with the title transfer, I recommend you compose a simple bill of sale document that lists information such as:

Buyer

Seller

Year, Model, VIN, color, etc.

Included accessories, parts, paperwork (receipts), etc.

All keys (inc. spares)

Mileage

Selling price

Delivery terms (when and how you plan to get it home)

Warranty (typically "as is")

I have bought and sold several cars this way - both parties end up happier.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I wired the money, he overnighted the title, I hired the transport, he made the car available for pickup, car made it here with no problems.

In Indiana, I took the title and the handwritten bill of sale to our BMV, a clerk checked the Vin Plate against the title, registered the car in my name and the new IN title arrived by mail.

Fairly painless....except for wiring money and hoping you get a car in return!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

required on the CA form; if not, it would help to have the bill of sale notarized. I'd also get an odometer statement if you can. Also, if you have to pay CA sales tax, be sure and get a tax receipt or you'll have to pay it again in OH.

To title in OH, you'll have to bring the car either to a dealership or to the tag agency for them to verify the VIN, so make sure the car's running and driveable. They don't tell you how to get it there if it doesn't have a license plate! But you can take the CA title to the tag agency and get a 30 day plate for $10, then you can take your time with the title transfer.

I'm going thru this with a truck I bought in IN...just a little more PITA than buying one in-state.

Looking forward to seeing your new wheels at our next SW OH GTG.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite