• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: 1 tii strut housing

72tiiguy

do you have a 'slam puller' ? it's used to remove stubborn rear hubs from the splined stub axles.

i had similar problem with a stuck insert.

have a propane torch handy too and some PB Blaster or similar spray lube.

clamp strut in a bench vice. the caliper mount bosses are good choice.

heat strut housing at top and spray with lube. repeat several times.

use a 17mm nut to thread the 'slam puller' to the top of the strut insert.

have at it..... it should come loose.

if it doesn't i'd be interested in buying it off you if you haven't destroyed the housing.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thanks for the suggestions, but I didn't mention that the insert was destroyed in the process. The top edge started to get mangled, so I ended up ripping/tearing it apart, thinking that if I could collapse the top part of the insert, it would come out easier. So, the only thing left is the shell of the insert, which doesn't leave much to grab onto.

I can still get a pretty good grip with vice grips, and hammered at it with some pretty good blows, to no avail. It's been soaking in PB blaster and I gave it some heat, nothing. Someone suggested I drill a hole in the bottom so I can punch it out, and then just weld it back up. I tried that, but I had to hit the punch so hard, it just broke through the insert shell (I probably drilled a bit to deep too, impossible to tell how far to drill).

So, except for the hole in the bottom (< 1/4"), I guess it's not destroyed. How much is it worth to you? I'm half tempted to cut it apart to see exactly what's going on.

More importantly, I still need another one!!! Any strut housings out there?

i can't float an offer without knowing the condition of the spindle (inward bearing surface, for wear step) and the appearance of the top (what's left to work with).

can you email me some photos?

i can send you a non-tii strut w/ bearings and hub if you want to keep it rollable.

jerryallsmanATyahooDOTcom

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa