• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Turbo (mild turbo for DD use)

Todd21

As a distraction during my 76 project I decided to build an exhaust manifold for a K03 turbo I had left over from my ownership of a 98 VW Passat. Anyway I've been doing the design and drawing it up as filler between the different aspects of the car project. The manifold is carbon steel and I'd like to thank Tom Rafalski for helping me out with the flange.

Here are a couple of pictures of the project. This is just a mock up so please excuse the studs and the gaskets.

Additional photos are here:

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff139/elishatodd/M10%20turbo%20project/

post-6649-13667601213314_thumb.jpg

"Common sense isn't common"

Harrison,

IGNITION WIRING TUBE Part# 12121719889 $11.83 (Realoem.com)

I got the tube from the junk yard but the bolt holes line up perfectly with the valve cover studs. It's for a six cylinder with the wires feed from the front of the car so I cut it off and routed from the rear.

Thanks Rover1,

I'll post up some performance data when I have it.

Todd

• Like 1

Pete,

The socket head cap screws do go down through the top of the collector box into the flange of the turbine housing. This is the way the OEM manifold mounts up. The top and bottom of the collector box is 1/4" material and there is a splitter inside the box so ports 1 and 4 are together and 2 and 3 are together to reduce discharge gases fighting one another.

Todd

very cool- got any pics of the manifold parts cut and fit before you welded them up. Process pics would be very cool to see. I'm sitting on an s14 for a transplant but waivering towards a smallish turbo on the m10. what kind of boost are you expecting to get at what RPM? Will you use and intercooler? That's the part of the turbo that I don't like...

"The turbocharger used on the 1.8T VW's is the Borg-Warner KKK03. The K03 turbo is a smaller turbo, capable of spooling up much quicker than other traditional turbos. Stock, the engine/turbo combination produces 150hp, with 150ft/lbs of torque that kick in at about 1750 rpms; all at a safe 7psi. The beauty of the engine is that torque stays on all the way through the rpm range, so full torque is available through almost all of the rpm range. This makes the car a joy to drive, with smooth consisitent power always available. "

http://www.swankmonkey.com/vw/gti/2000/turbo/index.html

Pete,

There aren't any process photos sorry.... I drew the manifold up on CAD and then we built it from the drawing. I can send you an CAD file if it would help. Your inserted quote is one of the reasons I felt like this might be a good fot for the M10 (plus I had a new turbo unit lying around). According to Borg Warner the K03 rated for 150 HP and the K04 rated for 180 HP only differ in the spring for the watse gate actuator. This unit is set to run at 7psi but the boost can be changed by using a boost control valve on the sensing line going to the waste gate actuator. I plan on running this on a standard 8.3:1CR motor from a 79 320i. It has the e12 head so I have to find an intake plenum from a early 320 or use a tii intake for the injection. I have quite a way to go before I hear any noise from this project but I think it should be a nice combination.

As far as the materials I used the flange is 3/8" carbon steel plate that Tom Rafalski had produced (he has more if you need one) The collector box is 1/8" CRS except for the top and bottom which are 1/4" CRS the spiltter in the box which keeps 1-4 and 2-3 cylinders seperated is 1/8" as well.

Todd

post-6649-13667601501412_thumb.gif

post-6649-13667601501965_thumb.jpg