• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamonix 72 Project

Baikal.2002

I haven't seen my roundie in about four years due to a bunch of moving around during that time. It's been sitting in storage, two states away, just waiting for me to figure out why the engine is blowing oil out the dipstick. That and fix its rusty rockers and wheel arches and replace its leaky window seals and etc, etc. I never got around to doing a compression test on it but maybe there's just a collapsed brake booster hose.

Fast forward to today where I picked up a parts car. The parts car is a 75 that was listed on craigslist along with a 74. The seller wanted 800 for both but only 200 for the car he thought was a 73. It is super rusty in some of the usual visible places but not in others. The front windsheild is knocked out and the roof and trunk look like someone jumped up and down on them. It's really a shame since there's a sunroof.

Now the good news mixed with some bad. Under the hood sits a 1.8 liter. Feeding this are dual side draft SK carbs on Cannon intake manifolds. Aft of the engine is a five speed. The steering wheel is a MOMO which needs recovering. On the dash sits a triple gauge pod with VDO oil pressure, temp and amp gauges. Front and rear bumpers are early style, long sides, with only the rear middle section rusty. Mounted on the front bumper are a huge pair of hella fog lights. Both bumpers have the shorty overriders. Mounted on the trunk is a real Zender spoiler. All four fenders have box style flares with only the left rear cracked. The front Zender spoiler is unfortunately broken in half.

The main objective with the parts car is to get the 1.8 running for a transplant into the 72 along with the five speed. The engine oil and antifreeze both look good not as if they've mixed. According to the previous owner it will run but the carbs are leaking fuel from the underside. He got it right before Katrina hit and it's been sitting neglected since then.

Secondary objectives include:

Remove the body kit and sell it.

Restore the MOMO, keep it, sell it, not sure yet.

Remove the bumpers.

Remove the wiring harness to use for splicing the 72s mouse gnawed wiring.

Remove the VDO gauges for transplant.

Remove the fog lights for transplant.

More pictures coming soon....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I freed up the pistons/rings with WD-40 and installed a Carter electric fuel pump. After putting half a quart of oil in and a couple of squirts of starting fluid the 1.8 fired up.

Next:

Pull the carbs, disassemble, clean and adjust. Buy a synchrometer.

Change engine and transmission oil.

Pull the diff cover and find out why turning each wheel doesn't make the other turn.

IMG_0256.jpg

Carbs are off, disassembled and cleaned. With the amount of gunk built up in them I'm surprised they ran at all. The NLA SKs are identical to the currently produced OER carbs. All hail Pierce Manifolds. They have parts for SK/OER. I suck at cutting gaskets so I ordered 4 sets to have spares. I'm still shopping for a STE-SK synchrometer. The new slab in my backyard is poured and set so now I can rip apart 'Rusty the partsmobile' out of the grass.

The bucket o' parts cleaner ate part of my carb. JB Weld is drying now.

Carb_cleaner_aftermath.jpg

I fired off my VIN to mobile tradition to determine the actual paint code with fingers crossed that it really was a Baikal. Sadly the reply was "The original colour was Riviera, paint code 036." So my roundie currently painted Ford blue, that's right no j in it, is actually Riviera. Riviera is too dark for my taste. If the car had originally been Baikal it would've been great to restore that color but now, who knows what color I'll pick when I get to the paint stage.

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2576125 was manufactured on July 14th, 1971 and

delivered on July 19th, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Riviera, paint code 036.