• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chamonix 72 Project

Baikal.2002

Nice pics and details about your car. At first (before I saw the engine), I thought your original post said you had SU carbs. I don't think I've heard of SK dual choke sidedraft carbs.

What did you use to get the blue paint off the steering wheel? The PO should have rolled up the window before spraying the car.

Notice you have an unusual A/C unit with vent showing near DS knee. Can you share some info (and pics)?

I vote you respray the Riviera blue color.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SK stopped being imported around 82. They are now OER. Supposedly they are popular with the 240Z/260Z crowd. If they are no one is posting much information in any forum about them.

It wasn't overspray on the wheel it was more like someone had poured a bucket of paint over it. I used "Aircraft Remover" initially on the steering wheel and wiped it off after about five minutes. It got off the majority of the paint except in the wrinkles. Then I wet sanded it with steel wool and brake fluid. Followed by a bath/soak in soapy warm water and wet sand with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. After toweling it dry it got bathed with leatherique and followed up with pristine clean the next morning. I've used a leather conditioning cream a couple times since and used 1500 wet/dry sandpaper with pristine clean as the lube to remove a couple of sueded areas. The leather feels soft and supple and has a matte finish. If I can close up the seam it'll feel better than the wheel in my e46. It is quite unlike the dried out feeling the exposed leather had before. YMMV if you choose try any of the above as it was dumb luck it came out as well as it did.

What I think you see as an AC vent, through the lower left of the wheel, is actually an EQ.

Riviera...no, Chamonix...yes. More on that later :)

Nice pics and details about your car. At first (before I saw the engine), I thought your original post said you had SU carbs. I don't think I've heard of SK dual choke sidedraft carbs.

What did you use to get the blue paint off the steering wheel? The PO should have rolled up the window before spraying the car.

Notice you have an unusual A/C unit with vent showing near DS knee. Can you share some info (and pics)?

I vote you respray the Riviera blue color.

Thanks for the response(s). Your car does (or did) have A/C - correct? I see the (2) lines in the engine compartment along the RS thru the bulkhead.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

The 75 does/did have AC. I don't have any pics of the front panel which was in pieces. It was a plastic front with two stacked vents and plastic sides. The hoses were routed thru the upper kick panel out the square hole in the inner fender wing and back through two grommets in the inner fender.

Thanks for the response(s). Your car does (or did) have A/C - correct? I see the (2) lines in the engine compartment along the RS thru the bulkhead.

Saturday I finished the carbs, reinstalled and fired her up. Idle was extremely high and one carb was drawing more air than the other. All attempts to adjust idle failed. Idle stop all the way out, check, no change. Idle mixture, all the way in, no change. It turns out that the emulsion tube circuit is clogged as, per the tuning tips and techniques weber book, adjusting the idle mixture makes absolutely no difference in the idle. So it appears that no amount of home cleaning can fix them, they have to be drilled. A quick call to Terry Sayther results in an answer of "just buy webers". Sure that would be the easy way out, but not cheap at ~400 each for new DCOEs. Yes, I could go for the tried and true 32/36 DGV for ~240 or even the single sidedraft kit for ~700 but who isn't entranced by the looks and sound of dual sidedrafts. After digging through the yellow pages, one local shop was able to recommend a place outside Houston that does all their carb work. So I dialed up Carburetors and More who says for 200 each he will rebuild, bench and live test them. I think I'm sold. I just have to shake my piggy bank and see if enough coin falls out.

The 73 needs a new hood due to many perforations in the inner support.

chamonix_hood.jpg

Fortunately Rusty has a surface rusted replacement. Hopefully I can get all the paint off by the weekend.

Rusty_hood_one.jpg

FWIW. If anyone is considering filling the trim holes with bondo because it's cheap....DON'T DO IT. This hood was done that way and every single hole has a creeping ring of rust at least a quarter of an inch around it. If you're going to fill the holes do it right, weld them, or don't do it at all.

Nice find!....I saw that car posted on CL with a mintgunt car. The cars were a little to fare away for me to try and buy. I'm glad the car went to some how can bring them back to life

Do you what happened to the 76 Mintgunt car?

P.S. I just pickup some Weber sidedrafts 40s off a car in Austin

Chris

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

We emailed back and forth before I bought Rusty. If you hadn't told me he only wanted 200 I probably wouldn't have even looked at it. You're to blame for me feeding my '02 addiction again. :)

I assume the guy still has the Taiga automatic. I haven't seen it back on CL so he might have crushed it. The body is rotten with tons of bondo and rust through almost every panel. The head and oil pan are off the motor. He had the interior redone though and if I was looking for a mint stock tan interior it might be worth what he's asking. He wouldn't budge on his price.

Nice find!....I saw that car posted on CL with a mintgunt car. The cars were a little to fare away for me to try and buy. I'm glad the car whent to some how can bring them back to life

Do you what happened to the 76 Mintgunt car?

P.S. I just pickup some Weber sidedrafts 40s off a car in Austin

Chris

Don dropped the 73 off this morning and I just had to wash off the grime before starting anything else. I'm sick that way....

welcome.jpg

An initial look at the rear window frame showed two perforations and lots of lower edge bubbling. It turns out that a previous owner, not Don, had filled some holes and imperfections in the frame with bondo resulting in a swiss cheese window frame. I fried a brush on el cheapo angle grinder halfway through cleaning this up. The replacement is working much better.

rear_window_frame.jpg

Under the right rear window isn't too bad.

r_ww.jpg

After sundown I mucked about with the electrical. Swapping the flasher relay and hazard switch out plus some contact cleaning got working marker lights all around and hazards flashing on one side only. I'll chase that gremlin down another day.

I didn't feel like grinding or welding today so dug back into the signals. It took a while to clean all the bulb contacts up, get a good ground point in the engine bay and at the tail, tweak the flasher relay, clean the fuse clips and the fuse panel underside. All of that work gave me 4 way hazards but still no signals. So I fixed the turn signal switch. The only lights not working now are the reverse lights.

Horn - swapped the horn relay out, big for small, and made a clip for it. removed horns and unscrewed the adjuster in the back to spray wd inside. One of two works now.

Cluster - swapped the flooded cluster out for the 75s. The fuel gauge/sender works. Pulled the sender to check its range. Full to empty and all points in between work.

Heater fan - lubed from above. Works on all three positions. The box needs to be dropped and refreshed.

I went to pull-a-part because an e21 had just arrived on the yard and I was hoping I could score a LSD. No such luck as it was just a 320i, though I ended up with several "treasures".

MB door brake

MB_door_brake.jpg

e30 rear speaker pods/mounts

E30_coupe_rear_speakers.jpg

e30 3rd brake light

E30_coupe_3rd_light.jpg

e30 battery cables

E30_battery_cables.jpg

Not pictured; e30 sunvisors, e21 distributor + ignition module, e21 M10 water neck, e21 thermostat, e21 injectors and a e21 green button switch.

No more junkyard trips.....unless another e21 shows up.