• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

passenger door doesn't lock anymore

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my passenger side door doesn't lock for some reason. the door shuts and stays closed fine...just can't lock it. i'm sure this is an easy fix...so can someone provide some help here on how to take care of this?

remove the door panel (interior) so you can access the mechanism's. It may just need lubrication. They can get corroded. You should lube everything in the door while you have the panel off, including the window mech's. Grease required there. Clean & lube everything.

Also, you want to make to keep your plastic scrim in place so it keeps any water IN the door, and not on your door panel. You may need to replace it w/ new plastic.

Be careful when popping the plastic door grommets, they brake, and you can also damage the cardboard on the panel.

Once you re-assemble your door(s) you'll feel great in knowing they are set for a while.

If your door brakes are broken or damaged, it's a good time to replace them as well.

Good luck-

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I found it was best ot just remove the whole mechanism for cleaning and lubrication. However, if you want to leave it in place a good brush to use is a flux brush. the 6" metal handle with the short stiff bristles. It's the kind plumbers use.

(it is easy once the panel is off) it is easy to clean and ensure which part of the opening system is giving you grief.

The handle comes off with two screws/bolts:

One Philips screw at the edge of the door, make sure you remember how the wedge is oriented under that screw.

One M6 (10mm head) bolts inside the door. Window must be up to access it.

The handle will fall off in your hand when these two things are removed. Now go about cleaning and lubing. Brake clean is a great cleaner, even cleans grease you get on the living room carpet, use the non-chlorinated kind for carpet. Then lube it. I really like the Wurth stuff for this. It goes on as a light oil and turns to a light grease.

Now with the handle off, you can determine if the problem is in the handle or the mechanism. You will be able to tell.

This is the time to make sure that little grommet is in place where the locking rod goes through the locking mechanism. This grommet holds the rod in place as you thread it through the door panel and keeps the rod from banging around in there.

New gaskets may be in order between the handle and the body. Careful here, tighten too tight, the gasket splits, not enough, the handle will loosen.

Also make sure those little caps are on the outside of the striker. Only one per side.

You will need some new clips that hold the door panel to the door, some of them always break. There are little condom type things that go into the door, where the clips go that make things easier. Order these too. Section 51/48 of the parts catalog, sorry forgot the number.

Make your life easier for the next time you are in here. As you were removing the door panel, the thought "why are these things so difficult to remove" crossed your mind. The clips that hold the silver strip to the door panel has two barbs per clip. If you take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend those barbs back, like de-barbing a fish hook, it makes putting those panels on and off much easier.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

does the key not turn in its cylinder at all (corroded or "frozen" lock)? Does it only turn partway and then not want to turn far enough to pull the inside locking knob down all the way?

If the former, try lubing the lock cylinder with a purpose lock lube--one brand is "Lockeze"--that might save you dismantling the door.

If the latter, you're gonna have to remove the inside door panel and delve into the lock mechanism. It's possible for the interface beetween the outside handle part of the locking mechanism to jam against the parts inside the door. Hard to explain in words, but easy to spot. If this is the problem, I believe there's something in the archives that covers this. If not, drop me an e-mail and I think I have the fix.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If it is the cylinder that needs lubing, definitely use something specifically designed for lock key/cylinder mechanisms - Lockeze, etc. etc, OR just use plain old graphite. Do not use oil or oil-based as it will work in the short-term but over a bit of time it traps dirt and junk in and will make you problem worse.

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

I removed the locking mechanism and cleaned 35 years of old sticky gooey lubrication added some fresh and clean lubrication the lock works like new. Next step the driver's side, after the coolant leak. Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007