• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driver door window won't roll up quite far enough to seal...

bmw_jeff

I've tried adjusting it several times, but it is about 1/16-1/8" short of the seal lip once its fully rolled up. Otherwise the mechanisms work fine. The "emergency stops" are not even close to the metal tabs on the door designed to keep if from rolling up too high. It was like this when I got the car. Could the cranking gear setup be installed incorrectly? I thought it only goes in one way in each door? I have not messed with the crank/lift gear yet, just the upper and lower adjustment points on the glass frame. I have the factory manual, but the steps in there are not working. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Guest Anonymous

- holding the window regulator to the door and rotate the regulator clockwise (counter-clockwise for passenger side) you should be able to pick up the window height you need.

A handy aid to working on the window regulator is a broom handle or scrap piece of wood cut to fit inside the door and placed to hold the window up while messing with the regulator. With the window up, measure between the bottom inside of the door shell and the bottom of the metal piece attached to the window. Cut the wood to fit and you won't be fighting the weight of the window as you adjust the regulator.

- holding the window regulator to the door and rotate the regulator clockwise (counter-clockwise for passenger side) you should be able to pick up the window height you need.

A handy aid to working on the window regulator is a broom handle or scrap piece of wood cut to fit inside the door and placed to hold the window up while messing with the regulator. With the window up, measure between the bottom inside of the door shell and the bottom of the metal piece attached to the window. Cut the wood to fit and you won't be fighting the weight of the window as you adjust the regulator.

Thanks very much for this tip Jerzy, this is likely my exact issue. My door itself is well aligned to the car so it sounds like the regulator adjustment is what it needs. Thanks!

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

• 2 years later...

ALSO sometimes the regulator is physically bent. I had one bend on me making it so that it would not go all the way up. So that's also an option.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2