• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Started digging into the '02 - decision(s) & opinions pl

nickdaytona

Since "Mr. Beem" has been sitting for the past 15 years I'm starting to list things that should be replaced. the weber 32/36 GAV carb is off and has been ultrasonic tanked and I'm awaiting a rebuild kit from Allstate.

1.The rad is out and looks kinda clogged and my rad guy wants $225 to recore it. Time for a new 320 i rad? Same price !!should I even attempt to keep the old thermostat or just buy new and what temp ( 71,75 or 80?)

2. ordered new water pump, alternator and am looking at petronix to upgrade the ignition.

3.need to pull the plugs and drop in some diesel fuel. Plugs are stif when turning. Spray lube suggestions?

4.Got new calipers and rotors and pads and am contemplating new flex lines ( $65 / set on Ebay ) . probably need rear cylinders too, eh? ( Canadian)drums are $25 so they're in as well (Brembo! )

Also thinking about wheel bearings.

WHAT AM I FORGETTING?? - Any suggestions welcome & Thanks !!

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'90 Corrado-422HP @ 22lb.

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

I think before you get too deep into this buying other new parts, you should see what's left in that engine. I think a compression test/leakdown is in order honestly. Considering it looks like the previous owners got more oil on the motor than in it, who knows how badly that engine has been tortured. Aside from that if you've got some decent compression, I think the usual routine maintenance items are in order.

There are several good threads on how to waken up an engine that has not been fired in years. I'd suggest you do a search and find those threads and read up on them first before anything else. If I were to attack this job myself, here is what I'd be looking at once I woke the car up.

Bow:

Coolant system /thermostat replacement/radiator flush

New Brake Shoes/Pads and Bleed the system

New Plugs/Cap/Rotor, and yes the pentronics is worth the upgrade

Take a look at the ball joints/tie rods/centerlink. Are the boots busted? Replace them then

Oil Filter and oil IN the engine

Valve adjustment/timing

If it's rubber, replace it. Fuel line, water hoses, fuel filter, brake lines.

Stern:

Get some new gear oil in that transmission. Who knows when it was last changed

Get some new Diff oil in that diff, again, who knows if/when it was changed

Take a look at those CV joints in the back. Are the ripped? Replace them and see if the joints click. IF the joints click, replace them too.

Guibo. Total PITA to replace, but have an extra exhaust O-Ring ready if you have to do this job. While you've got the rear of the car off the ground, spin a wheel and see if you have an LSD or an open diff.

Spin the driveshaft and make sure there isn't any play in that U-Joint in the back of the driveshaft.

Then enjoy the car. Give a good wash, a good wax, a big hug, and take it for a spin.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

this will be my son Alexs' first car so it will be a stage ASNG car ( All show, no go !!!) . At the risk of nausiating the " originalista's" , expect to see this little bomber in Bayside blue (Skyline colour) with wide chevelle style black accent stripes on the hood and trunk and if there is any $ left over then we're putting a large bimmer logo on the roof ( hey , if the mini can have a union jack then why can't we? 15X7 wheels,black flared, and a stereo with more horsepower than the motor- perfect for a boy with better intentions than decision making skills.

We'll be going over the whole car from stem to stern for sure as we are expecting a hoist install within a month. thanks you all for the support ( and especially the list , Scott!! )

post-16264-13667602427153_thumb.jpg

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

I'm glad to see that you're having fun with this car. There are many strongly opinionated purists here, but fun is what this car is for in the end. I can see by your signature that you're no newbie to the tuner crowd.

My first 'sporty' car was a Corrado with a G60 'charger when I was in high school. Had great times in that car 'till I wrecked it. :-) Think I can borrow yours for a bit?

Looking at that picture of the engine though, I would say that a rebuild is in the works now or later. Sometime in the near future that engine is gonna die. Maybe let your son cross that bridge when he gets to it?

Enjoy. Send us pics of the rad body work when you finish it!

this will be my son Alexs' first car so it will be a stage ASNG car ( All show, no go !!!) . At the risk of nausiating the " originalista's" , expect to see this little bomber in Bayside blue (Skyline colour) with wide chevelle style black accent stripes on the hood and trunk and if there is any $ left over then we're putting a large bimmer logo on the roof ( hey , if the mini can have a union jack then why can't we? 15X7 wheels,black flared, and a stereo with more horsepower than the motor- perfect for a boy with better intentions than decision making skills.

We'll be going over the whole car from stem to stern for sure as we are expecting a hoist install within a month. thanks you all for the support ( and especially the list , Scott!! )

I hope you both have fun with it. I learned pretty quickly that these are pretty easy cars to work on, and once you've gone through all the maintenance items, they're pretty care free save for routine maintenance. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you progress.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

went on a parts buying binge and bought the following:calipers, water pump , complete used pertronics system from plug caps to distributor stem (thanks jeremy!) , plugs , hoses , rotors , pads , rear cylinders,had the alt rebuilt, and found out that the rad wasn't clogged, just was dirty , so after a washing soda flush ( or 3 ) I stood it up in the laundry tub and ran the hose full into the fill hole. no water backup at all and it came out the bottom full blast ( YAY ) . Waiting for the carb kit and air assembly. We've got 3 out of the 4 plugs out and hopefully with some "1/4 turn at a time Release-All" therapy the last one will be out this week.

Haven't done much else since it's so damn cold right now( -15 C ) ( 3 F ) but as soon as the thermometer rises a little we'll ge back on it.

Best part right now is the UPS truck showing up with stuff !!

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

• 4 weeks later...

Almost ready to swing the key ! Carbs rebuilt, all plumbing has been replaced , water pump and alternator are in, and today with any luck, we'll get to hear it start. Scratching my head as to why there is 3 battery connections, though ( 2 positive, 1 neg ). I'll post pictures and I'm also going to throw up a video on Youtube of it firing up for the first time in 15 years ( should be good , smokey fun ! )

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

Almost ready to swing the key ! Carbs rebuilt, all plumbing has been replaced , water pump and alternator are in, and today with any luck, we'll get to hear it start. Scratching my head as to why there is 3 battery connections, though ( 2 positive, 1 neg ). I'll post pictures and I'm also going to throw up a video on Youtube of it firing up for the first time in 15 years ( should be good , smokey fun ! )

Great news! Let us know how it goes.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290