• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wheel arch stone guard

alan717

I've heard of them, I may have seen a few in my early days of owning 2002's when I was 17 (1982), but after reading the BMW Restoration Guide (where it's written they are pretty rare), I put the thought out of my mind.

Anyway I was cleaning out my 72 that I bought about three years ago. Even though it has a smashed front end I love it because its Colorado Orange. Until I get to fixing her up (hopefully in a year or so), sometimes I just sit in it on the perfect black upholstery and breathe in heavily that damn wonderful interior smell, ahhhh horsehair (hopefully it doesn't cause brain damage).

So sifting though all the cool parts that were left in trunk and interior, like oil filters, new radiator, etc. I saw this dingy plastic bag, still secured with a rusty staple and part # decals. I felt like Indiana Jones. My sweet little love gave me a present, I presume in thanks for having a home that wasn't a junkyard.

IT WAS A BRAND SPANKIN' NEW WHEEL STONE ARCH GUARD! Right side. I hoped there was the left side but alas no.

Hey, I know I laid it on pretty thick here but isn't it cool what these old baby's have hidden sometime?

Does anybody know if they really are that rare? Has anyone seen any for sale lately?

Here's a few pictures (I hated opening the bag but heck I had to let the thing breathe!)

Alan S

post-1400-13667602617253_thumb.jpg

post-1400-13667602618371_thumb.jpg

post-1400-13667602623855_thumb.jpg

post-1400-1366760262912_thumb.jpg

post-1400-13667602634104_thumb.jpg

1974 2002 Amazon green

1972 2002 Colorado Orange, smashed nose #2579332

1995 Toyota T-100 p/u white

1995 MZ silver star w/sidecar...currently being modified

i had located a nice set when i was starting my resto and hung onto them planning to use them on my colorado car. but i didnt like the way they mounted and the fact there was metal on paint and it seemed like a trap for dirt and moisture as well. i opted to sell them. i dont recall what i got for them.. maybe a couple hundred???

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

i had located a nice set when i was starting my resto and hung onto them planning to use them on my colorado car. but i didnt like the way they mounted and the fact there was metal on paint and it seemed like a trap for dirt and moisture as well. i opted to sell them. i dont recall what i got for them.. maybe a couple hundred???

My dad bought a set of these from the dealer back in the '70s, and they came with the car when he passed it along to me. Only one had ever been test-fit, at which point my dad had the same reservations you did: rust magnets. I agreed with him, and I traded them to Delia several years ago for two sets of refinished 2000CS rims and mint hubcaps. I am very pleased with the wheels, but sometimes I still have a twinge of "trader's remorse."

And what is it about guys with Colorado cars zeroing in on these things? This makes three of us in this thread.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Oh...

you must mean these...

Yeah, Blunt, these are the ones you sold on ebay for less than $100. Now they belong to Bill Williams...

They're "makin' the rounds."

I had another pair that was a trade with Dave Hoovler for two sets of 2000 CS 14" wheels and hubcaps. They were NOS. Sold those to another board member in Massachusetts.

I agree that - despite being made of stainless steel - mounting them will inevitably trap dirt, so a show car/trailer queen is a far more likely candidate to ultimately wear them.

post-169-1366760263958_thumb.jpg

post-169-13667602641254_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

sheet rubber and glue it to the back side of these guards, they could be installed without threatening the underlying paint.

I too have a pair of NOS guards--they were a door prize (!) at a BMWCCA Gateway Tech back in the early 90s. I must have been the only one there to put tickets in that drawing box, because the attendees got a big laugh when they drew my name as the winner. At the time, us 2002ers were not as common as we are now!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Oh...

you must mean these...

Yeah, Blunt, these are the ones you sold on ebay for less than $100. Now they belong to Bill Williams...

They're "makin' the rounds."

I had another pair that was a trade with Dave Hoovler for two sets of 2000 CS 14" wheels and hubcaps. They were NOS. Sold those to another board member in Massachusetts.

I agree that - despite being made of stainless steel - mounting them will inevitably trap dirt, so a show car/trailer queen is a far more likely candidate to ultimately wear them.

damn delia, you ruined my memories. i thought i got more for them that that. im glad they went to a good cause

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Consider that the last ones BMW sold here in the USA were still only $4.60 each at full list price, be happy with getting whatever inflated price they brought. Don't mean to sound sardonic, I guess I'm just too cheap to spend the big $$$ for something I missed getting in the past...

They are pretty cool, and I do wish I had some, but there's too many other things I'd put priority on before I spent 20 or 30 times the original price. Although I recognize I'm out of touch as I can't believe a so-so condition 2002 can sell for more than an E36 M3 nowadays..

Scans from the accesories brochure & the BMW price list book

stone_guards02.jpg

stone_guards_pricelist02.jpg

Man, you guys are great! I have not been on the forum for about 2 years (time flies) and whamm! all this info. comes in!

I wonder if, with the advent of adhesives like 3M body trim tape, one took 2 slivers about 1/4" wide and attach, not to whole length of the guards but maybe in 2" lengths, that would be strong enough to attach to wheel arch while allowing a channel or sorts to let debris escape?

Thanks for that price list. I remember vividly in 1982 buying mudflaps for my 71 or 72 (beat up) 2002 from the dealer. I distinctly remember they were $15/pair and the package had an orange paperboard top ( yet I can't recall more impt. things in life...funny).

....and yes Delia the mudflaps still hang upon your Amazonus Grun 2002. Funny, I took the stahl header off to paint 2 years ago (yeah I know, but I can always blame ADD). I finally painted it last week (ceramic black), installed it, attached the new Ansa exhaust, sprayed some starter fluid down the gullet of the old twin Weber, and it started after about 20 minutes (new Interstate battery helped). Sure I had some flames shooting out of the Weber now and again, weeeeeee! but she started after sitting for over 2 years! Yes sitting n the cold, snow, ice, rain covered most of the time until a breeze blew up her skirt and blew the cover down the driveway.

BTW I called Stahl to compliment that they are still a business in America and Mike(?) asked me for the numbers on the header (which I never noticed) and he called me back in 5 minutes to tell me the header was sold to Korman Auto, back in March 1984 and it sold for (I think) about $160. I remember always wanting one but could not afford it. I think now they are about $600 or so?

One last question: Delia what happened to your tii Colorado Orange? and also so nice to see your comments. Your 74 2002 is still with me and as strong as ever.

Thanks everyone. I forgot what a great community this is.

Alan

1974 2002 Amazon green

1972 2002 Colorado Orange, smashed nose #2579332

1995 Toyota T-100 p/u white

1995 MZ silver star w/sidecar...currently being modified

• 6 years later...

MAJOR SCORE!

So, awhile back I was looking online and saw this single wheel arch stone guard (p/n 72 60 1 804 50 2) for sale on the 'bay. Knowing that they're rarer than hen's teeth, I decided to jump on it, and then worry later about trying to find its mate. I pulled the trigger and got it for what I consider a fair price. Doing some searches afterward on the FAQ, I found this link and realized it was Alan717's stone guard that he found way back in 2009, hidden in the trunk of his car! (see above). Thanks, Alan!

Okay, now I have to try and find a single "left-sider".  It’s hard enough looking for a pair, let alone a single one. All this time, I've been searching.

Fast forward to this past Sunday: I was at Lime Rock with the Nor'East 02ers Group, and I saw  Lawrence, with his beautiful knock-your-socks-off blue, fully restored/upgraded 2002. Real nice guy, I've run into him at previous Lime Rock events, and at the Vintage events at Saratoga Springs. Always has some beautiful '02 with him. And there he is and he has the stone guards on his blue car. I asked him if he had any idea where I could find them. He said he had a Swedish customer who said that they had ordered a pair and they might have gotten them from Walloth & Nesch in Germany. He suggested I email them in the off-chance they still had some. What the hey, When I got home, I sent W&N an email. Lo and behold, on Monday, I got this response: 
Thank you for your enquiry.

Please see attached offer.

We can offer as follows: 72 60 1 804 501 (left)
The right side 72 60 1 804 50 2 is not available.

What are the chances that the only one that W&N had in stock was the left side one that I need?
I immediately placed my order and it arrived 2 days later, from Germany, in perfect condition.

Amazing how things sometimes work out...

From what I've read, installing these will give me 10% more horsepower and 15% better gas mileage. Plus, as an added benefit, they might even actually promote rust in the areas which they are supposed to protect.  Gee, how can I go wrong?!

Happier'n "a pig in sh*t" !!!
-Bob

post-42229-0-90569300-1441990786_thumb.j

post-42229-0-35079800-1441990839_thumb.j

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...

They are a nice original accessory but when they are compared to the 'stone guards' that Mick McCartney refers to, I think that is incorrect. From memory, the way McCartney describes 'his' stone guards they are made of aluminium, I think, and fit up under the front wheel arches to stop mud being thrown forward to the back of the indicator light, front of the wing.

This type of stone guard sounds very useful- now if someone could remake those I would be on board.

Need to find my copy of the restoration guide and re read that section

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

In Western Canada (I've been told) the guards and aluminum door sills were popular items due to severe Winter conditions.  I saw my first arch guards recently on a nice survivor.  They were original and in good shape.  Didn't look like much grit was getting past the edges.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

McCartney describes 'his' stone guards they are made of aluminium, I think, and fit up under the front wheel arches to stop mud being thrown forward to the back of the indicator light, front of the wing. This type of stone guard sounds very useful- now if someone could remake those I would be on board.

http://www.lokari.de/en_GB