• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carter p4070 electric fuel pump install any step by step?

dinanm3

pretty simple. get some extra fuel line 1/4". do you have your battery in the rear or front?

disconnect battery first

FUEL: you've got IN and OUT. (line from tank to IN, OUT goes to carbs.

Power: Ground (-) to chassis

"+" should be run to your fuse block. Pick a fuse that powers when your keys is turned to the 1st position.

that simple. It works in the rear of the trunk very well. I mounted mine to the right of the fuel tank on that metal support. Make sure you mount it so the top is level. (not cocked)

Do you have a regulator? Some say you don't need one. I have to use one.... sure someone will say otherwise.

stock fuel line works fine, btw.

What carbs are you feeding??

post-1748-13667602860453_thumb.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I mounted mine on the firewall next to the fuse block and behind the brake booster. It seems quiter there and works fine, even though it has to pull the gas further.

1969 BMW 2002/2002 MB C32 AMG(FOR SALE)/1998 Mitsubishi Chariot/2001 Nissan March

hi i read some say fuse 11 some say 12. iam using a carter p4070 looks like yours on the site racetep.com they say it self regulated doesnt ned one. on top of the fuel tank were were the sending unit goes there is the fuel line i blew thru it from carb that most be the line to put pump.i forgot to by some fuel line ill get some but i bought 14 guage wire.so i have to disconnectt fuse box and tap into wire there.thanks so much for help and photo ididnt buy a cut of switch can add one later some say mount under car pump has to be level or below tank seems safer in trunk to me.cant be hit by road debree or heat from exhaust

hi i read some say fuse 11 some say 12. iam using a carter p4070 looks like yours on the site racetep.com they say it self regulated doesnt ned one. on top of the fuel tank were were the sending unit goes there is the fuel line i blew thru it from carb that most be the line to put pump.i forgot to by some fuel line ill get some but i bought 14 guage wire.so i have to disconnectt fuse box and tap into wire there.thanks so much for help and photo ididnt buy a cut of switch can add one later some say mount under car pump has to be level or below tank seems safer in trunk to me.cant be hit by road debree or heat from exhaust

I would wire it so that it's only on in the second or "run" position on the ignition switch. That way it's not running when your listening to the radio while parked with your sweetie at lovers leap.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

My pump is also the Carter 4070. Got it from Summit. (same as on racetep.) I believe it is 6 PSI, which is a hair too high for the WEBER side drafts. You can see how it works without a regulator. My set-up would not work without a regulator, which I located in the engine compartment.

The line that sends fuel to the engine bay is the one that already runs around the wheel well (see the pic).

I didn't have any room in the engine bay for it, so I went to the trunk like many others do. You also want a better filter than the little plastic jobs, and also locate it between the tank and pump, so your pump is protected. the filters for the 320i seem to be perfect. (metal can) and last much longer.

SiteNamecopy.jpg

it was easier than i thought would have been its in .

but car still doesn't run lol.so i bought car he drove it here when got to driveway it started getting a little ruff .i looked in fuel tank theres gas.i checked mechanical fuel pump looked week.so i put the electric pump.i bought a carb rebuild kit which really was 2 gaskets and a float valve and accelerator actuator.i blew threw fuel line no clogs.i checked cap there is some marks on coper i dont see crack.it has spark looks a litlle week its hard to say cause how spark wires are so far in from the head to put on block to make spark.i did notice a split in ht wire to coil to distributor but put to block and it spark red i know its supposed to be blue spark .it will start some times than only run if i keep pedal down seems week than stalls sometimes shoots a puff of gas out carb.i haven adjusted valves yet i havent done timing since i cant keep it running.so what iam thinking is this save up some money

replace distributor cap coil to red bosch new plugs,new piontless ignition.if then it doesnt run it needs a new carb and what i did by trying to rebuild it did nothing ow i also checked idle solenoid it clicks.once it runs i can tune it and than on to brakes as the reserve line popped of so have to replace and bleed system .

i removed the mechanical put block off plate spark plugs looked a little black.

i noticed a little oil around threads on couple. could be run off.they are platinum plugs.are your plug wires loos when on the thread of the plugs like you can just spin them in circles

You may want to get your engine TDC and get the rotor aimed at the appropriate mark on the dist housing to start. Many threads already on here on how to do that. Take some pictures of your engine bay & post them. Large, clear pictures would be helpful.

You're writing an awful lot of info, scrambled together & spelling... hard to tell what you're talking about in places.

SiteNamecopy.jpg