• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilstein?

I<3BMW

The general opinion is that Bilstein HD's are the best for DD duties. Mine has them along w/H&R springs which lower the car slightly, improving the handling w/out being too aggressive for street driving. Also, take out the spacers in the front which are there due to federal bumper height stds. of the 1970's.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I have billy sports on my dd along with the H&R springs; the ride is a tad hard on the commute to/from work every day (especially with stock seats with no padding...ouch!). On the flip side, in the twisties or autox the shocks are really, really good! My recommendation is that if you plan on using this mostly as a dd then go with the HD's -- your butt will thank you for it, however it you plan on doing a decent amount of racing then look into the sports or coilovers.

Cheers,

Bill

I bought sports and they are too harsh for me. Does anyone know is it possible to re-valve them to be like HD's and what's the cost of re-valving in US? I haven't found anyone to do that in Finland. I will contact Bilstein Germany next.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

trade their HDs for your sports...

For the street, HDs are just fine--and last forever. If you want to reduce lean in corners, go with larger sway bars and slightly stiffer springs, like H&R, Eibach or Irelands.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

ride comfort is too subjective. i would encourage you to find someone with the set up you desire and go for a ride. i have stage 2's and sports in both my cars and i love it for daily driving. we all have different tolerances and its all opinion till you feel it for yourself

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Actually it seems that HD's are not widely available in Europe (that's where I am :-) Market's are a bit smaller around here so...

I just threw an e-mail to Bilstein Germany to ask what they would recommend. We'll see.

Anyway I think Sports are way too hard for my summer driver. I had Koni's at front before and they were great. Inbound was soft and outbound was adjustable. Outbound was adjusted to quite hard but they were still comfortable. I'm almost unable to push the Sports in - just way too much for me. I have the racecar also so I'm used to hard suspension but for street I need something else.

Really if you can get a test drive with someone - Go for it!

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!