• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: Handbrake roller bearing upgrade kit **batch sold out**

shipm_8

***batch sold out*** Making another batch. (3/27/09)

After finding out about this upgrade while browsing Keith's site online, I thought I'd give it a try on my tii. Paul Cain no longer offers it, so I did some measuring and found the parts to assemble the kit. I even took advantage of the handbrake being out to do some cleaning, take out the rust, and paint the area too. Now my handbrake sits tightly in its mount, and is much smoother.

With the experimenting, I ended up with a bag of M14 hex head cap screws and nuts. So rather than toss the leftover parts in the parts drawer never to be used again, I got some extra bearings and assembled a few of these kits to share the joy of slop-free handbraking. Some of the screws I have are longer by 5mm than the one showing in the picture (45mm instead of 40mm in the pic), but the end result is the same.

Five dollars of each sale I will donate to the FAQ, because this place just rocks.

Bearings by INA, screw is metric zinc yellow plated class 10.9 steel. Zinc plated lock nut. Handbrake not included.

L1070872.jpg

L1070873.jpg

L1070892.jpg

L1070894.jpg

L1070897.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

Bluedevils,

Thank you for your note. I hope my edited post satisfies you. This mod to the handbrake was clearly not an idea of mine but, since Mr Cain --according to an email conversation I had with him last week-- no longer offers the kit, assembling one myself seemed like a fun challenge for me. It did not occur to me that I would be offending anybody.

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

It is not about my satisfaction, and I didn't intent to question your integrity in public either. I should have contacted you before posting the message, I apologize if my words were harsher than need to be, was just trying to give the credit to whom it is due. I appreciate of the update on the original post, it feels much better and just.

No worries. I am happy to clear up any appearance of impropriety.

Your note did bring up the ethical question I faced before the original post: Should the reverse-engineering of a non-proprietary combination of thrust bearings and fasteners be credited to the one who originally had the idea, or would the credit be misconstrued as the improper use of a private name for marketing purposes?

There you have it. The intersection of ethics and smooth braking.

Best,

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

William,

Where can I send the paypal payment to? I'd like one send to me asap. I'm getting ready to make a drive up north and would like to install it before driving out on Sunday. Thanks.

Le

I don't expect to make it to the PO before Wednesday, but we can work something out so it makes it to you before your drive.

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

ok, mail sent separately. I'll make sure you get it before your drive.

If you drive up 101 on Sunday, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a northbound 02....we are driving south to Santa Paula on Sunday.

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

All purchased kits are on the way. Just dropped them off at the post office. Enjoy, and let me know how they work out for you. Will make another batch if there is interest.

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

William,

Got the confirmation of shipment. Thanks again. Will let you know how it works. Might get another one from you soon.

Le