• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you doing to save money in this depression ?

pkbinplano

I was able to reformat my slow ass computer rather than buy a new one.

Driving my 2002 more to save gas rather than my gas guzzling 84 pickup

Got my wife to stop buying so much garbage at the grocery store

(no more can drinks, that the kids leave half full, buying litre bottles)

cancelled lawn service, fertalize myself

turn off those damn lights !

dig through those old cloths I don't wear anymore, most are still good.

dollar menu at lunch time

(1) Pack the kids' lunches for school. (2) Delay selling Saturn DD for very excellent E46 I want. (3) Coupon clipping for groceries. (4) Cheaper Spring break trip this year. (5) Smaller annual budget for Dieter's 10-year plan. (15-yr. plan?) (6) Bought nice $3 jeans at Goodwill instead of $45 jeans elsewhere! (7) Treat wife better and better; divorce would be a disaster for us!! :)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

1. Less eating out. And if we do, the McDonalds dollar menu is awesome.

2. Walking to the supermarket for small things. Its about a mile away.

3. Instead of taking my stepdaughter to amusement parks, we go to regular parks and fly kites or visit city museums when they offer specials.

4. Have put off the idea of buying an M1 Carbine, indefinetly.

5. Almost sold my M1 Garand and SKS. But my wife told me not to.

6. Stopped late night dashes to the local 7-11 thats about 150ft away.

7. Replaced all light bulbs with those energy saving bulbs.

8. Getting used to eating ham sandwiches, almost everyday.

9. Sold my shorty euro bumper to a fellow faqer for some grocery money. I still cant believe I did that!

10. Havent bought a single box of ammo in over a year. Good thing I have a big stash!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Eating out was a BIG spender, cut that down big time to maybe twice a week, Clip coupons. Have stayed away from buying parts to be installed at a later date. To make a little extra cash have sold on the list and the bay.

Fewer road trips, oh have kept up the air in the tires! Interesting post.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

I don't know how to answer this one...because we are finding a lot good deals lately, we may be guilty of over stimulating the economy. In the last year, we sold 3 cars we didn't need and bought 2 cars we didn't need. I sold a few 2002 parts that I really didn't need, to people, that I am sure really didn't need them either. I talked to my 25 year son, and told him to get a real job, because times were hard,and we no longer could bail him out for rent every month, except of course next month, because .. I don't remember the real reason now. We did cashed in our miles to travel to VA and gave up our annual over the pond trip, just this year, except the dollar is stronger and the fares, hotels are cheaper, so is double dip savings, there is still 8 months to think about this one. We also made a commitment to go to our favorite restaurant once a month, we will sacrifice, just doing our share, besides it will be a national tragedy if they have to close for lack of business. Oh, we also stopped buying bottle water, for our 23 year son that doesn't want to leave the nest, finally told him that Hollister has an excellent tap water. Mom stills buys can sodas,,, I could go on... but it will infringe in my ability to reach full happiness potential!

FAQ Member # 91

Michael, you are also a very good essayist on top of your other talents. Thanks for your humorous take on things. p.s. I bet I know which restaurant you alluded to....keep them afloat by all means!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

stopped maiming my victims as that can lead to costly lawsuits later. now am killing them and disappearing the bodies via inexpensive but labor intensive hostel2 (movie) methodology (garbage disposal). also switched to rimfire (cheaper) or just edged weapons (free to use after initial purchase). stalking victims on foot rather than shadowing via car is a real gas saver(not to mention great exercise), and ive found going with partial cannibalism diet can shave a little bit on groceries. i dont have quite the stomach for full cannibal status, plus all that fat and protein is hell on the triglycerides levels... i dont want to blow up my long-term health costs just to save a few bucks today. =p