• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Self-portrait of a citizen above suspicion . . .

f1reverb

OK...................I still don't get it?? Is it funny? Ironic? Provocative? Who's JJ? I must be slooooooooooooooooooooow.

that I'm wearing a leather Head BMW Motorsport jacket (notice the stripes). I figured the color version would have been a dead giveaway with the stripes and the b&w has atmosphere.

I had to come up with a portrait of myself for something that may or may not happen, and I would be a contrarian if this happens, so what's better than a noir portrait?

I had to deal with critters doing this in my garage, as first my tortise (had him for 45 years) wakes up out of hibernation and tries to escape from his hiberbox, and then the local squirrel I give peanuts to came into the garage several times trying for his peanut freebies.

My subject line is a play on words of the superb Italian movie . . .

Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto (1970) (imdb link)

"Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion" imdb comment . . .

Investigation on a movie above its notoriety ., 29 June 2005

9/10

Author: frippertronic81 from Cagliari, Italy

"Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sopetto" ("Investigation of a citizen above suspicion") is a surrealistic police-story directed by the Italian film-maker Elio Petri in 1970 .

A very original screenplay tells us the story of a respected police inspector who commits a crime and deliberately leaves clues just to find out how big is his reputation of "a citizen above suspicion" . The theme is developed from this single event and becomes an intelligent and provocative reflection about the concepts of authority and institution . While some could wrongly see this movie as a left-wing political one because of the way it depicts police authorities' excessive power , It is really only a fair illustration denouncing the impotence of institutions of making an impartial investigation about their own mistakes . The main theme of the movie rises up a brilliant and paradoxical question : how can the organs which administrate the "Law" condemn themselves without risking their own collapse and negation ? To this question the movie answers with the pessimistic vision that a real justice is an utopia because of human-beings' weaknesses and self-preservative nature . This brilliant reflection is developed in an highly entertaining and smoothly constructed satirical police-story : in fact the movie has an overwhelming "funny" tone especially thanks to Gian Maria Volonte' superb acting in the main role of the "fascistoid" police inspector . The ending will surprise you with the way it reveals the surrealistic nature of the whole topic .

Even if this movie was highly awarded and acclaimed at its time , (1 Oscar for Best foreign film , 1 Nomination for Best original screenplay , won Grand Prize of the Jury and Golden Palm nomination at Cannes Films Festival , 1 Golden globe nomination ) at the present days it has been criminally forgotten . I can only add that I personally consider it one of the best Italian films ever made and one of the most provocative police-stories in the last 40 years . Unfortunately it suffers of a very poor international distribution so , unless you live in Italy , it won't be easy for you to find this movie . But it doesn't matter how hard it will be , it will be worth it ."

And to think I thought it was Neil Young, who is not a citizen (or at least was born in Canada) nor above suspicion (for what, I'm not sure)....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

For some reason, I thought of "Doc" from Back to the Future when I saw your photo, F1!

post-8428-13667603589433_thumb.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Jay, thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking your photo was that of Neil Young's brother or cousin perhaps. I am a huge fan of NY, so that's not bad, really. I am sure I have not seen that movie, will have to look for it.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz