• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is my rear drum wet?

poonker

Oh, man.....that's a lot of something. It's either brake fluid or bearing grease. Either way, it's not good.

First, spray it all clean with brake parts cleaner. Take off the wheel and the drum and really clean it all out with the stuff. Use the whole can. When it dries, pump the brakes a few times wth the drum back on and look at the wheel cylinder.

If it's the wheel bearing seal, it will be obvious when you pull the drum off.

Let us know what you find. Take a picture or two when you pull that drum off and keep us posted.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

not good. look at your brake fluid reservoir...is it disappearing? either your brake line going to your rear wheel cylinder is not tight, your bleed screw on your wheel cylinder is not tight, or your wheel cylinder is toast and you need to replace. i would not drive your car until problem is fixed.

1972 BMW 2002 - M42

Looks like mine did in 2003 when first purchased. In my case it was a bad brake cylinder. PO's do not concern themselves with safe brakes, shocks, & tires in my experience. (not to mention balljoints & tierod ends)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

that the problem's a blown wheel cylinder. Pull wheel and drum, and then peel back the rubber boots on the offending wheel cylinder. If it's wet behind the boot, it's leaking.

With that much fluid showing outside, the shoes are probably contaminated too and should be replaced. And if you replace the shoes on one side, you should do the other...and while you're at it check the wheel cylinder on the other side too--it may be starting to leak.

This would be a good time to make sure all your brake adjusters are nice and freed up...

See how these projects snowball?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I think he needs the e-21 backing plates and shoes too.

There are larger wheel cylinders if you need to replace. Not sure how much of an improvement they may be. Maybe the larger ones are from a turbo.

Scope creeeeeep

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Sorry to read about your rear fluid leaks. Your rear backing plate photo reminded me of my first 66 VW with bad wheel cylinders AND a tweaked axle (swing type) that would munch thru rear wheel bearings in a couple of months.

We certainly don't want you to stop your car only by pulling up on the handbrake (like I did during high school).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I started work on my rear brakes today. I bought all new shoes and cylinders. It looks like the old cylinder is the culprit and was leaking pretty bad. I'm having quite a hard time removing the metal brake lines from the back of the cylinder. It's rusted on pretty good.

Should I just cut it off and replace the lines?

Also is there a place where I can buys just the metal brake lines to the drums?

Or is there a better aftermarket solution instead of going back to stock.

Any special tricks in putting it all back together?

Thanks everyone.