• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd Brake light/ Flashing Led group buy???

elementfmfl

In the interest of all our safety and not letting our cool cars get Rear Ended by some Truck driving, cell toting, McD's eating jack ass I went in search of a good LED brake light to put in my window. As I come from the Bike world of course my thinking is if it "flashes" too than it seen more! And my R1100GS could have proved that, anyway in my search I found this light set up. I am looking into seeing if we can do a group buy, but as so I would need an aprox head count. The seller would like to ship to one address and I figure we can distribute from there. Also I amin no way connected to the seller, just happened to find him via searching. Let me know...

Product Details

The Flashing-Steady LED Brake Light has been developed to provide an eye catching third brake light, especially designed to attract attention to you and your vehicle while braking. It has been designed for easy installation and detachment. For example, if you would like to remove it during an auto show event. It has been designed to operate for both vintage and modern vehicles. It only draws 100 ma, and it operates on 6 and 12 volt electrical systems. It is durable, and is enclosed in a 1" square 8.5" long acrylic tube.

The Flashing-Steady LED Brake Light grabs attention by pulsing its 10, 10 mm dia. superbright red LEDs and then goes to a steady on state. Every time power is applied, it flashes for an adjustable period and then goes to a steady on. The flashing period can be adjusted to last up to 8 seconds.

The flashing period is easily made longer or shorter by removing the end cap and turning a small dial with a screwdriver.

Installation

The Flashing-Steady LED Brake Light attaches to your rear window via two

large suction cups. The suction cups are pressed on the window, and then the LED Brake Light is rotated so the LEDs point straight out.

The Flashing-Steady LED Brake Light receives power from on

e of your existing brake lights. Its power is feed through a DC plug and jack. The jack is permanently installed in your vehicle and is located in an area of your vehicle that is easily accessible for the plug from the brake light to connect up to. This allows for easy detachment if you would like to remove it for example, at an auto show event. The wire length of the brake light to the plug is 6 feet, and the length of wire attached to the jack is also 6 feet. So the total wire length is 12 feet.

post-10316-13667603893047_thumb.jpg

post-10316-13667603893868_thumb.jpg

post-10316-13667603894232_thumb.jpg

post-10316-13667603894733_thumb.jpg

Modern cars... They all look like electric shavers.

1. How much on a group buy?

2. Seems to me one could remove the suction cups and use either velcro to fasten the light to the horizontal edge of the backlight rubber gasket, or some shaped hooks to hook over the inner edge of the gasket. Much neater than the suction cups and just as easily removeable.

3. With so little current draw, the wiring could be slipped under the rubber backlight gasket between rubber and headlliner, and not show at all.

Keep us posted.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The mounting method was something I was considering addressing myself, I had also thought Velcro or clear 2 sided tape. The point that it can be easily installed or removed makes it more interesting to me than a standard pick and pull light. Right now the seller has them advertised at $67.50 a piece + $4.50 shipping. That's why I'm trying to see how many we would want so I can go back to the seller and say we are looking at XXX, what can you do for pricing. Anyone else? The fact that it can be installed/removed in minutes, and the flashing light make this light a superior choice in my opinion.

Might be interested. I'd like to fab a housing for it to mount in that sits snug against the rear window so I don't get blinded at night. I was looking at using something like this. Let me know the cost and I may buy 2.

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

I developed my own kit using a 40 micro LED red light bar that I purchased from a motorcycle shop, I attached it just below the rear window seal on My 68. I purchased some really nice bridge terminals from Radio Shack and ran the two thin wires down the backside of the C-Pillar, into the trunk area and along the rear wiring harness loom. I tapped into the positive on the driver side taillight using the dual bridge terminals and hit the main ground lug/wire right on the taillight housing. The whole thing works great, no holes were drilled, wires cut, etc.

The only bad part was I got rear-ended while sitting at a red light with my foot on the break pedal! In my opinion, it can't hurt to add more lights to the rear of your cars...but extra brake lights won't keep stupid people from hitting you.

cheers!

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

I'm also interested as I was about to start putting one together for my car; this would greatly simplify that!

One thing to keep in mind, I grew up in rural NY where the cops had nothing else to do but pull people over (had a friend get pulled over for not dimming his OEM fog lights) and they may not like flashing red lights, especially if it lasts for a long time. Does anybody know how long the motorcycle units flash for? It may be best if this unit can flash for the same time. Just a thought. Brendan

'76 Inca, restored to a roundie

I'm also interested as I was about to start putting one together for my car; this would greatly simplify that!

One thing to keep in mind, I grew up in rural NY where the cops had nothing else to do but pull people over (had a friend get pulled over for not dimming his OEM fog lights) and they may not like flashing red lights, especially if it lasts for a long time. Does anybody know how long the motorcycle units flash for? It may be best if this unit can flash for the same time. Just a thought. Brendan

From what the seller is reporting the flash portion of the light can be adjusted from a quick short last pulse to solid red, to an eight second long flash into a solid red. I agree cops can make an issue if they truely want to., But I have never been stopped on my bike for the same setup. You know the old saying, if a cops wife is pissed everyone he deals with that day pays... As it stands I will ask to see what kind of a deal we can get on a dozen to start and we can go from there, as long as evryone is ok with it, I will have them all shipped to me as it will be cheaper and then distribute them (if we can get a deal).

Hella third tail light for $63.00 This guy might bump the price down if we get enough. Nice thing it seals against the rear window, no light inside the car when you step on the brake at night.

Go alll the way to the bottom on the site. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html Super nice guy to deal with just not a computer sales guy.

p><p>These new CHMSL retrokits, made by

Model 37: For backglass angles of 20° to 36° — Most fastbacks & coupés:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 38: For backglass angles of 37° to 56° — Most sedans, some hatchbacks & wagons:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model 39: For backglass angles of 57° to 80° — Most vans & wagons, some sedans:

' alt='>'>

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Hella third tail light for $63.00 This guy might bump the price down if we get enough. Nice thing it seals against the rear window, no light inside the car when you step on the brake at night.

Go alll the way to the bottom on the site. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html Super nice guy to deal with just not a computer sales guy.

p><p>These new CHMSL retrokits, made by

Model 37: For backglass angles of 20° to 36° — Most fastbacks & coupés:

Model 38: For backglass angles of 37° to 56° — Most sedans, some hatchbacks & wagons:

Model 39: For backglass angles of 57° to 80° — Most vans & wagons, some sedans:

' alt='>'>

I have seen that very light. I like the look. However I much prefer the Added flash of the setup I am looking at. The pulsing red is more eye catching than a standard constant on, I come from motorcycles and see many of these setups they work. To each his own. To whomever is still interested in the setup I am exploring I am still waiting to see what pricing they are willing to offer. I will put it up as soon as I find out.