• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sticky gas pedal

pinkey

jsut fixed that on my 73 this weekend. Hose down the innards of your pedal box with wd40. Spray the spring on the outside of it, (right side of box) spray down your linkage connections. Lube the roller under your pedal. Check your choke !!!

I prefer an initial dousing with PB blaster and a follow up with lithium grease for longevity.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

part # 35-41-4-440-122 is missing from the shaft/rod that fits into the acc. pedal. If it's still there, rotate it a bit to find a new smooth (rather than flat) spot or get a new one if it's missing.

Getting all the junk out of the pedal box and lubing the firewall side of things is also very helpful.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

and not because of the linkage, it's probably a missing plastic bushing on the metal rod that contacts the back side of the pedal. The bushing bears against the pedal, and the whole mess is supposed to be greased.

Some years ago I replaced the grease with a piece of Slick Tape--sold at woodworking shops to put on drawers to make 'em slide easily. No more grease to get all gummed up, and the pedal works quite nicely. The main problem was that I had to buy five feet of the stuff, and only needed 2 1/4".

So...drop me an e-mail and I'll send you a piece.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had a similar problem on my 74 recently. I did all of the usual suggestions as mentioned above and still had a sticky pedal. It turned out that the pedal itself was the culprit. The rubber holes where the pedal snaps to the floor were all worn out and would bind against the mounting pin/ball things on the floor. Purchased a new pedal, problem solved.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️