• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT IS THAT WHISTLE!!!!!

It is driving me crazy. I cannot find where this whistling is coming from. About 25 mph it starts happening and at 65- its a solid tune. It is definitely coming from outside the car. Driver side. Its not leaking through weather stripping or anything.

I thought it might be the wind passing the mirror or the antenna or something but if I put my hand to deflect any wind nothing changes.

Is this common? Am I missing something obvious here???

please help i might be going crazy.

I wish I could say it was the supercharger or the turbo, but unfortunately i am not equipped with such!

thanks!!!

-kile

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

Sunroof?

Try revving the engine a wee bit with the hood open. You could have a vacuum leak someplace.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

If it makes you feel better, you are not alone. I think Mike Self (or Steve, or Bill... ) describes a method by which you use painters tape to cover up various trim gaps etc. until you find the guilty party.

I am with you, to me the whistle should change when you use your hand as a deflector if you are near the offending area, and therefore I wonder if is is coming from a more forward location.

Let us know if you track it down, then we can start on my dash rattles...

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

yeah, tape everything- antenna support, end of the drip rail,

all of the sealing areas around the doors, vent windows, etc.

It's easier to tape up a chunk of the car, test it, and then if you've got it,

start removing tape until it returns...

and don't rule out things like the vent window top hinge, either.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

thanks I will try taping. makes sense. I plan removing my trim anyway, so if that is the culprit, that makes it an easy fix!

Oh and by the way.... I HAVE TO YELL BECAUSE THIS WHISTLE IS SOO LOUD. sorry ;)

'02 owners have been looking for that whistle since the things were new. I tend to feel that it's just one of the little quirks that go with the cars. Mine has it and I know for a fact that with my car as bent and twisted as it is I'd drive myself crazy if I tried to find it.

There's a few questions that pop up here that just make me chuckle as I read it, and this is one of them.

All the above suggestions are on the right track. I recommend wide blue, green or purple masking tape as it sticks well enough for the purpose and leaves no adhesive behind like duct tape does. I would start with removing the antenna and taping the holes. Followed by folding the mirror flat. Then checking the gaps in the hood to nose, test taping those. Follow through systematically and methodically through ALL the possibilities. Door seals, sunroof seal, side window seals, grilles, holes in the radiator bulkhead, air passing through the front gap in the hood, air passing past suspension parts under the car, miss aligned windshield, wiper arm, missing or bad hood to heater area seals..... the list goes on seemingly forever.

Every '02 I have tracked the whistle on, it was something different nearly every time. Some just could not be found. As far as I am concerned '02s just plain whistle and there's nothing to be done about it w/o pulling ones hair out.

So, if you do track your mysterious '02 whistle down please let us know what you find. As you will have solved one of these cars quirky mysteries. :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20