• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a 24 hours of Lemons 2002 for Sept CMP

bam2002

Hello,

I am here for some opinions - information.

I have run the 24 hours of lemons race 2 times at CMP in SC. I have been running a 1985 e30. we took 24th the 1st time and were in 3rd place untill the car died. I have decided to run a 2 car team at the next event and am going to get a 1975 2002 ready.

Fist of all the race is no longer a demolition dearby. The cars dont get destroyed unless you win the peoples curse. look it up on youtube if you dont know what it is.

Here is the car.. its missing about 30% of its floors. Bondo on every panel. Sunroof track is so rusted its seperating from the roof. And the drivers side subframe is crushed. Im thinking the roll cage will make up for the subframe damage. needs struts and the master clutch cyl.

But it does have twin webbers and a OK engine. Blowing a little smoke.

So i have done some searching and reading. I have a complete 320IS that a tree fell on. It has Bielstins and springs. I would like to to raid parts off that car. I see i can swap out the rear sub frame with some welding mods.

I have a welder so that can be done. Since I am having to put a roll cage in.

I would like to upgrade the front brakes. Will the e21 ones work? I know I can also do the Volvo 240s. I need to start looking in the junkyards if the e21 ones cant be used. Or are e21 brakes not any better.

So if you were to build a $500 car that had to do a 18 hour endurance race. Brakes are safety and dont count against the $500 budget.

What would you do>? mods etc..?

Here is the car.

CIMG0730.jpg

Also here is the FB site for the car we have been running.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/24-Hours-of-Lemons-Team-Euro-Trash/74072729458

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

Well I think the best thing would have to be a good set of wheels/tyres. If upgraded brakes are going in and possible suspension you may as well get some good traction.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Thanks. Yep I saw that post and have already dug out my E3 front suspension I had laying around from an old car.

I also have decided to use the 1981 320 engine from the donar car. But i understand the distributor turns the opposite way. So I will need to either swap out the head or the Cam. I think il going to swap the head, since the head is going to be reworked over any way.

So next weekend we will start stripping down the 320 for parts.

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

I have not looked at a 4 cyl engine in about 5 years. So I dont know if you can just swap out the gear.

THe engine on the 75 has dual webbers and a cam so I want to use the more agressive cam. Since this will be one of the lowers HP cars out on the track.

Yes I could use the whole set up from the 320 re dist and electronics. But I also have a 02 dist. with a pertronix conversion. I figure that its newer and more reliable.

Since the car needs to be able to run for 8 hours straight for 2 days. Yes we get a break overnight.. and its not a true 24 hours..

But its long enought that the car needs to be dependable,

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

Ok, that cleared it up. You need to use the dizzy that is correct for the cam. Pertronix is fine. You could change the gear but it still won't work as the distributor must run to the direction it's designed.

I would also recommend to use the head from 320 to match the pistons. Otherwise you could run into problems. Just swap the cam. Check the condition of rockers. It would be good to use rockers that have been together with the cam.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

if I use a 02 head on a 320 will I have clearance problems? Re pistons and valves?

Of can it be done but it them id have a high compression engine. Because we can run racing fuel and go high compression if needed. More HP is better as long as it can run for 8 hours straight.

Barry

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

• 2 weeks later...

doing all of these swaps, id be careful about violating the 500$ rule

even though you have the wrecked 320 already, im pretty sure u still have to "buy" the suspension etc from yourself in order to put it on the 2002, and that purchase will count towards the 500$ limit

School: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Clubs: Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Cars:

2003 buick DD (grandpa's car, literally...)

BMW 2002 (as soon as i find one...)

Good point.

After looking closer at both cars we have decided to go with the 320.

I have started part out the 2002 and plan to get it to a Zero dollar car. Selling everything but the carbs.

Were going to put the side drafts on the 320 and run it how it is. Since the 320 already has the LSD and all the suspension parts. It has a Mint interor that I have already sold ( plus the tinted glass, Euro headlights and AC) , getting the 320 to about $100 value.

So the next step will to get a cage installed.

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

Welcome to the world of LeMons 2002s. :)

I have done two races on ours and have lots of tips and tricks for you. Those side draft Webers are frowned upon in LeMons! No matter where they came from. A 38/38 will go unnoticed as it looks kinda stock.

I was looking into the Bav long control arms and decided against them as they would have opened a can of worms. I suspect we would have been chasing/working around those arms for the rest of the suspension. If you make the front stick better then you have to do equal mods to the rear and we didn't have time and budget for that.

Our car came with a nearly new set of Bilstein HD shocks. We had a set of ST springs laying around and claimed a value for them of $150. The fronts got one coil cut from them. We had a set of 22/19 bars too and claimed the same for them. We replaced the front strut rod bushings and a control arm bushing or two. For camber/caster we pivoted the strut mounts on one bolt, cut a crescent moon from the tower and drilled two more holes. I'll take a detailed after pic for you in two weeks. The upper spring perches are now about 1/4" away from the body, or about1.5 deg neg camber and some caster. For our second race we added poly trailing arm bushings and subframe mount inserts. I don't think I'll be messing with the suspension much more until after the next race.

24 hours of Lemons- Sean's House 035.jpg

We lucked out in that our car had a set of Recaros in the front and perfect blue door panels that we scavenged on eBay for $473. So, with our $500 car purchase that sale netted us a $27 car! I then sold some smog equipment to a friend for $40 and we were in the positive! :)

The car handles great and keeps up just fine in the corners. Our only drawback is that we're a little under powered. Our summer project is to stuff a M20 in it.

Our car.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/showymcshow/collections/72157605033459993/

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer, and good luck.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hey Tom

Thakns for the info But it looks like were going to go with the e21

since I am not the Captain of this team ill go with whatever they want to do. IE they will be doing most of the work. I will be running a e30 again, hopfully this time it will finish.. Since we are making our own wiring harness for it. So the plan is to be on 2 teams and get alot of driving time in. We shall see how that works out.

The blue 02 show will be raided for Lemons parts then sold. I still have 3 other 2002s here at the house so who knows. I really want to build a real track car out of one. For sebring and DE events. Then there is the vintage racing so maybe ill just leave it a 4 cyl. I would like to have a 02 track car, but if im going to put alot of time into the car. I might as well spend some $$ and make it a proper race car.

So this way I dont need to feel bad about putting a 02 out with all the less than skilled Lemons drivers. Since the 320 had a tree fall on it its a lost cause.

BTW I really liked your 02. Nice concept. graphics etc. It turned out to be a very nice looking car. Looks like its pretty solid compared to the one we were going to use.

I think the 02s are cool and I bet they would be a blast to drive. I just would like them to be a little more competative. Or for the judges to be nicer and give the 02s and give them a head start like the Sterling Moss 02 in Cali. Good luck on the next race.

Barry

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD

• 4 weeks later...

Tom

I didnt see your car in any of the west coast even photos. Are you only doing the Freeza palooza? or did something happen to the car?

Also looks like the 02 is back on for next year. ( I have a e30 to run in Sept) The guy that was going to build up the 2nd car has decided its easier to pay a flat fee to be on another team that needs a driver. I do agree this is way easier, pay the $$ and show up. But then you have not say on how well the car is Prepped.

So I will keep the car and in the Oct time frame have time to start getting it set up. Im going to move the engine and rear axel assmbly out of the e21 and thats about it. Then put on carbs and fix up the suspension.

Thats the plan for now. Ill see how things look at the end of the year.

69 Baur 1600

71 Euro 02

75 02 w/ box flares

72 E3 73 E9

85 Baur 323 E30

99 Z3 coupe track car

08 Z4 coupe DD