• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rust treatment for bare metal?

jhelgesen

It looks like the rust was converted with a rust treatment. I would get as much pittiing out as possible and prime with an DP series epoxy primer (a filler might be necessary). Someone with more rust experience might have another opinion. Under NO circumstance would I ever use POR 15 under a body finish. Good luck.

Media blasting would be the best to remove rust in pits. Hydrochloric (muriatic, swimming pool) acid will remove the rust also; do not breath the fumes, wear gloves. Then treat with a phosphating solution. Better than phosphoric acid is something like Prep Step.

If that was mine, I'd hit it with the

3M stripping wheels- they'll pull most of the

corrosion out without taking much metal.

Then I still like etch primer- it's phosphoric acid based-

then dp after that. Then some filler.

Then a lot of sanding.

Then more dp, and primer- surfacer.

Then some more sanding.

Then more p-s and sanding if needed.

Then finish sanding and color...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I remember seeing an image in a hotrod dedicated magazine, that showed a fender off a 30's sedan with its paint stripped and the rust that was "killed" by somebody in the 40's or 50's along with some led repairs.

I guess removing with phosphoric acids or converting it is a good option.

68' 2002 DD

Use a small stainless wire brush, available at Harbor Freight and all welding supply stores and a phosphoric acid based rust remover, available from Eastwood. It works.

It's a good rule to apply primer no longer than 2 hours after sanding. Any visible trace of rust is not good.

W. B.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=16671&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=379&iSubCat=380&iProductID=16671

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

The primer looks fantastic. You are taking care of those little dents and bumps aren't you? They were probably not visible before priming.

W. B.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.