• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom A/C bracket after Clardy bracket fits rotary compress

02hobiedave

I have had a machine shop working on brackets for my A/C system for the past two months. I have a fridgeking system with the old York compressor. I'm changing out the York for a rotary compressor and a clardy style bracket. The bracket will be much more efficient and lighter also.

I had the original bracket loaned to me and by a board member to get the basic layout. I had the machine shop delete the rubber bushings. Once you do that then you have changed the original design and all the dimensions change as I found out. So now the bracket is closer to the block so we had to custom cut parts to make it fit correctly. This bracket now fits like a glove. It was mocked up on A Tii block with the A/C cut outs down by the pulley. also mocked up on a non Tii block. Both fit perfectly. The guy is ready to start laser cutting the pieces to weld together. I just wanted to see if anybody else wanted in on the brackets I have eight spoken for so far. I don’t want to go into business I just want a bracket for My 02. I'm not going through this again.

I have attached the latest pics of the shops handy work. I also wanted to thank Aaron & Mark for the bracket and block loaners without them I could not have gotten this far. Thanks

Please email me if you would like a bracket. The price will be very reasonable. 60.00 + 10 shipping for the first run

. dave.hobiedave @ gmail.com

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m461/hobiedave02/AC%20system/

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Thanks for the update and pictures. Now that you have deleted the bushings, will the smaller compressor be OK without any?

I'm also wondering about the weight difference between my massive York (Behr) unit and the "rotary" type.

If I change my compressor, is there a commonly available "kit" to change the system over to R-134A?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

Guest Anonymous

Does this mean you won't need the idler pulley? Will work on a standard york behr setup? If so count me in. E-mail fuller5934@bellsouth.net TIA

Thanks for the update and pictures. Now that you have deleted the bushings, will the smaller compressor be OK without any?
yes it works fine no problem with the Sanden 508 compressor
I'm also wondering about the weight difference between my massive York (Behr) unit and the "rotary" type.
It a bit lighter by just a few pounds.

If I change my compressor, is there a commonly available "kit" to change the system over to R-134A?
Sure any aftermarket sells conversion hoses condenser, dryer and fittings my kit was 90.00 for the hose and dryer kit

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Does this mean you won't need the idler pulley? Will work on a standard york behr setup? If so count me in. E-mail fuller5934@bellsouth.net TIA
Thats correct the compressor is moved to adjust the tension in the belt. You might have to change out the hose and dryer connections for a new or used Sanden 508 compressor. I will be glad to help any way i can beleive me I have been at this thing for about 5-6 months. I have found one common thing every bracket i have seen is different from the next so........ Mine will all be the same and good high quality and test fit at the machine shop. I barrowed a tii block for the test fit.

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"