• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanity Fair announces BMW Art Car tour... question

dubois

True, I read a small announcement on the magazine, this is kind of, to make this posting off topic, not way off topic

I have a question though. Somehow a copy of Vanity Fair landed in my mail box. I started looking a the pictures and ads. Yes, another "girlie" magazine I thought. I must have read this issue cover to cover now! Great articles, very good writing and reporting. They don't take themselves too seriously either, they use sarcasm, humor, and irrelevance freely. I am finding myself liking the magazine that I am about to subscribe! Anybody has an opinion? Is this just one good issue (April 2009), or they are known, and I just barely finding out?

Any opinions?

FAQ Member # 91

They have some interesting political articles every now and then. Some good deconstructions of what went wrong in Hillary-land and of post-Presidential Bill (which was not flattering). I pick it up every now and then, but it is not on my (short) list of rags I subscribe to. Not that it shouldn't be now that I think about it....

Back to the Art Cars -- where are going to be? I know about L.A. (a fwe months back) and NYC (in late March). Anything near us?

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Michael: we have had a subscription to VF for years. It's not perfect, but there are a lot of very interesting, intelligent articles in it. The fact that they will go into depth and allow lots of space to explore something appeals to us. I don't think it is overly aimed at women -- they do run some cheesecake photos of starlets -- which my wife gets annoyed with. ("They're so sexist!!" sayeth Mary)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I made a joke for Dubois.

I have never heard of this mag. I'm going to have to pick up the April issue to see what you guys are talking about. Does it feature car articles now and then or is it like Playboy use to be. Well written articles.

I made a joke for Dubois.

I know...I was really worried - but at least another person think it isn't just a girlie mag. The April issue has an article on Iceland, how they "evolved" from fishermens to world bankers and then down again. Really in depth and very well written. Then the next is about Bernie Madoff and hedge funds, then they have one about how the French dealt with some Somalies pirates - timing couldn't have been better. A thought provoking one about the history, evolution and meaning of "the American dream". Any time I have to ask my wife what a word means (she almost always knows), I know I am being intellectually challenged. The photography essays are good too. Most of the magazine is text though. Long articles. $15/ 12 issues cheaper than a book!

Oh there is one about John Cheever, which I couldn't really get into.

PS: the show is over in the US, only two stops: LA and NYC - as far as I could tell.

FAQ Member # 91