• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bolt from Hell E30 Tranny.....Anyone

Richard

I asked a friend that works on E30s a lot, and here's the discussion:

Friend: it really ain't that horrible

you need external torx bits

E10 8 and 6 I believe

Kevin: tell that guy

where is it?

Friend: I imagine he might also be refering to the two top bolts as on the M20 they are hard to get at, need about 4ft of extensions and swivels to get access

otherwise not really sure what the bolt from hell is

Kevin: hah

maybe hes just a pansy

Friend: there is also a hidden 8mm screw that can be annoying

you think all the bolts are out, try to split the engine and tranny and it won't move

because of that dinkly little 8mm that is on the engine side of things, very odd

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I don't know what you mean. All the bellhousing bolts on my E30 M3 are way easy to reach.

Wait, is this on a 6 cylinder E30?

If so, then that's the problem. Somebody stuffed a couple of extra cylinders in your way. Loose them and you should have plenty of room to access the bolts.

Otherwize, swivel-head torx sockets on an extension are needed.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Just did it with an automatic. As stated above. We had some one to turn the socket, someone to hold the tranny up to keep the pressure off it and someone to hold the light. Put the socket on from top and then mated the extention to it. I will add that it was a real bitch to get.

know or have a tool or method to remove the bolt from hell on an E30 tranny... If your not familiar with this bolt you have never removed an E30 tranny.....TIA

ive never done the e30 tranny but i have heard of the bitch bolt. ive done a few older mercedes trans with a 4' extension and a wobbler on the top bolts. a few blasts with an airgun and yer done (on those).